Winter Tales» Forums » General

Subject: Winter Tales compared with Story Realms rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sure people are watching/considering the two since they are both story telling. I was wondering what people are seeing as differences in game play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Cremona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Story Realms seems a very good game. I'm excited to give it a try.

I'm following that game since his first previews. But info are a bit lack atm.

I can only speak of WT, but if you have more info to share... I'll be happy to discuss it.

Even if there are so few info, from the previews it seems clear that there are a lot of differences in the two games.

I'm really happy that people are doing efforts to consider the Storytelling boardgames as a good frontier for searching something new! I love Storytelling games (I'm a good collector of those) and I think that this kind of games can offer a lot to players of every age.

Well if we collect more info, let's share them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I read the text for this game on how players tell the story it seems very sophisticated. I didn't see in in Story Realms, which means I probably missed it, but I know that is geared (maybe?) more for kids?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zab Lab
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is a great post! thanks Desferous. I'm caressing the idea to have a specular post on Story Realms forum...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Cremona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
please have a look on this post too.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/10057926#10057926

thanks to all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albe Pavo
msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jbbnbsmith wrote:
I had seen a little bit about Winter Tales before, but I just read through the two rules files that are currently posted. It too looks very interesting. My initial thoughts are that while both are story-telling games, Winter Tales is more a story-telling board game, while Story Realms is more a story-telling role-playing game. While both have a mapboard, the Story Realm map is more for providing a sens eof location within the world, while the Winter Tales map is used for tactical movement (that is, to block & confront or help and assist other players, while trying to achieve various objectives that also are related to the map.)

Also, in Winter Tales the cards are used in a way that is a little more boardgamish in that they are sort of resources that can be used to move or battle (and probably oter things as well.) The various cards in Story Realm are more player aides that also provide color, background, and some parameters and constraints to the story.

Then, of course, Winter Tales seems a little more mature in theme. Not that children couldn't or shouldn't play it (the box says 10+ I believe), but it just seems to have a much darker tone to it.

The one thing I'm not sure about is if in Winter Tales the person chosen to be the "Story Arbitor" (I think that was the term) is also a player or not. If so, then obviously another big difference is that Story Realms uses a games master (the Story-Teller), while Winter Tales does not.

Finally, Winter Tales has a winner or winners, while Story Realms is more a coop outing.

Both look very interesting and well done.

You are right, the Story Arbiter, is not a Game Master, that is different from Story Realms. I paste from the WT rulebook:

The Story Arbiter counter is given to the Story Arbiter at the beginning of the game and indicates who has the last word on the quality of the Story.
All players cooperate to create the best story possible, but it’s up to the Story Arbiter to decide what direction the story should take.
The player who is nominated Story Arbiter always has the last word in matters pertaining to the flavour of the plots created by other players,
whenever thy cannot agree on one common road: the Arbiter must be impartial and must strive to create the best possible story. He ore she should be well versed in both the rules and the Characters’ stories. Remember: the Story Arbiter may not change the mechanics of the game, but only indicate the right direction for following the story, prompting other players to change those parts of the story that clash with the the setting or which may be considered distasteful

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zab Lab
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
And WT has no Game Master!!!

this is so important to me! Each player have the same opportunity to change the story!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niccolò Ricchio
Italy
flag msg tools
which is just like any good, modern, coherent rpg, with or without master. every person playing should be a player and have equal or almost equal opportunities to influence the game and the story. that's simply good game design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.