Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
Five years after the publication of "Agricola" a special 2-player spin-off was published: "Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small". What does the "small Agricola" offer? In contrast to Agricola which deals with the whole life of a family of farmers "Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small" is just about stock breeding. The players farm sheep, pigs, horses and cattle, expand their grazing land and build fences, hods, stables and similar things.

(Image: Z-Man Ganmes)

But how do you play the game? In the beginning each player gets a board that shows his farm which consists of a builing and possible grazing land. There also is a third board where the players can place their three farmers (i.e. workers) to take different actions. Possible actions are: get animals, get building materials, build fences, hods or buildings or to increase the size of your land. The game is played in eight round a three turns per player, i.e. each player has 24 actions before the game is over.

(Image: Filosofia)

During the game you have to consider that you need builing materials to build things, that your animals need a place to stay (a building or grazing land with a fence) and that they will produce offspring if you have at least two of the same kind in the same place. You also should consider that to most of the action spaces a certain amount of animals or building materials is added every round, i.e. if an action is not taken you get a bigger output next turn which makes the action more interessting. In this way competion between the players is created. You want to wait until an action becomes more interessting but you want to take the action before your opponent does.

After eight rounds victory points are calculated. You get one point for each animal and each building gives the amount of points that is printed on the building. There are also bonus points if you acquired and used additional land and if you have a certain amount of animals of the same species and there even is a penalty if you fail to reach a certain amount of animals for one species.

(Image: Kjetil Bjornsrud aka Znapperhead)

The materials you get in that little box are very nice: the cardboard pieces are quite thick and most of the pieces are made from wood. There are 144 wooden pieces. The only sad thing is that theese wooden pieces are not enough forn the game. You also get some cardboard tokens that represent 4 sheeps or things like that.

The rules are quite easy but at some points things could be better arranged in the manual.

All in all "Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small" is a good 2-player game. The short playing time - about 30 minutes - may be a plus for many players. As far as I can say it from the games that I have played there are different strategies how to win the game. If you are looking for a short but tactical euro for two players "Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small" may be just what you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice.

Neutral, non-judgemental, informative, brief and pictorial.

BGG needs more reviews like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Dibbler
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for you kind words, Ben!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
And I mean them! There are way too many poor reviews/reviewers around these days. A potential buyer need to see what they get in the box, a general flavour of the gameplay, and they should be able to figure the rest out for themselves.

That's exactly what you've done, and you've done it in non-patronising and clinical style. I want to see more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How does this compare to Homesteaders as a game that falls into all these categories

Quick, easy to learn, deep, engine builder, wife-playing game, euro.

This game caught my eye, as I bought Homesteaders for all these reasons. Yet to play it with my wife but I did play it and it's pretty awesome.

I've also never played Agricola. I want to but if I bought it, I'd need the Mayday or Goodies meeples and that would be around 70 to 80 dollars, vs about 35 for this, which seems to have better components. I really like the fact that it seems to be a deep 30 minute game vs about 60 for Homesteaders

However, Homesteaders does play up to 4.... I'm not looking to replace it, rather complement it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good review..I just purchased the game itself, have played a game but need to play more in order to explore the depths this little game can bring me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Dibbler
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
How does this compare to Homesteaders as a game that falls into all these categories

SOrry, I cannot tell xou because I don't know Homesteaders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.