Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A member of our group received a pre-release copy of the new Mayfair edition and brought it to our session last night. I was not overwhelmed.

We didn't actually play the game, but I looked through the components and laid out the map board. The pieces look too plain and generic to me after playing with the ones from the previous Phalynx edition. They are also smaller, especially the counters they have for the leaders. The map appears to be functional, but is smaller. It is a bit easier to read due to a more subtle or neutral coloring scheme in the backgound.

I believe the rule book is over 40 pages! They must have accounted for a lot more with regard to advanced rules over the base game. I didn't really read through it, but I am assuming it also contains the scenarios in it.

Mayfair did include some player aids, which is one item missing from previous editions.

The box is a bit small in my opinion as it is the same size as the box used for Test of Fire, but has about twice the 'stuff' in it. This box size seems to be consistent with most new Mayfair games and will take up less room on your shelf.

Overall, I was kind of 'meh' in my reaction to it. Anyone who doesn't own it and likes war games should get it. AHD is a very good game. But I can't see anything in the box to make me want to go out and replace my old copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just as an additional note, the MSRP has also dropped from $45, to $30 for the new edition. We tried very hard to balance getting everything in the box (including all of the variants and advanced scenarios), while still hitting the price of our Civil War series games (Bull Run/Shiloh). Other than cleaning up some odds and ends, and the all-in-one variants package, owners of the Phalanx or other editions won't find a lot of new here. Our goal was to get the game back in print with as complete and accessible package as possible - including price. We're very happy with the result!

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Everett
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a happy owner of the Phalanx edition of this game. The only Phalanx component I haven't been completely satisfied with is the game board covered with dark, wavy lines. The Mayfair game board looks to be a significant improvement graphically.

My questions are: 1. Will Mayfair be selling the game board separately as a component? and 2. Would my Phalanx edition pieces fit well on the Mayfair board?

-Donald

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Games are like songs: you never get tired of playing the best ones over and over, and you can enjoy them all by yourself.
badge
I was a child prodigy at tic-tac-toe. Now I never lose.
mbmbmbmbmb
dgeverett wrote:
I am a happy owner of the Phalanx edition of this game. The only Phalanx component I haven't been completely satisfied with is the game board covered with dark, wavy lines. The Mayfair game board looks to be a significant improvement graphically.

I wasn't bothered by the wavy lines that give the Phalanx edition an interesting woodcut look. The board is kinda big, though, and the big unit-counters cover up the color of the boxes underneath, and I don't care for the stand-up leaders. Also, if you study the "living rules," it turns out there are two or three errors on the map that are not fixed by the stickers. Oh, and the Phalanx rules sheets are pretty unwieldy.

If most of those things are fixed in the Mayfair edition, I'll be glad I preordered it. If not, maybe I'll try out my GDW 2nd edition next time I want to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
!. I don't believe the board will be sold separately. Mostly because...
2. The Phalanx tiles will be larger, and therefore incompatible, with the new board. I'm a thousand miles away from my Phalanx version to verify this, but I'm 99% sure that the scaling down of the pieces for the new edition would make combining the editions awkward at best...

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexYeager wrote:
Other than cleaning up some odds and ends, and the all-in-one variants package, owners of the Phalanx or other editions won't find a lot of new here. Our goal was to get the game back in print with as complete and accessible package as possible - including price. We're very happy with the result!

Thanks. This classic game certainly deserves to be in print. Are there any changes to the rules, and if so, are the rules available for download?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexYeager wrote:
Just as an additional note, the MSRP has also dropped from $45, to $30 for the new edition. We tried very hard to balance getting everything in the box (including all of the variants and advanced scenarios), while still hitting the price of our Civil War series games (Bull Run/Shiloh). Other than cleaning up some odds and ends, and the all-in-one variants package, owners of the Phalanx or other editions won't find a lot of new here. Our goal was to get the game back in print with as complete and accessible package as possible - including price. We're very happy with the result!

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games

Alex,

Thanks for posting.

Don't get me wrong, if I didn't own a previous edition of the game I would pick this up in a heartbeat. The Mayfair editon is nicely done. My reaction was in more of a comparison to the older copy I have. I just didn't see a need to replace it as I have with some other games that have been re-printed.

I am the owner of many Mayfair games and I am very happy with the overall quality of the products.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Sesser
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got this game as well, I was wondering if all three of the counter sheets were suppose to be the same, and witch one is the turn marker? The counters I got in the box are all alike on a 3 sheets and nothing says turn on it for a counter marker???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See page 13 in the right margin for the turn order tile (and the recommended use thereof).

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Sesser
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexYeager wrote:
See page 13 in the right margin for the turn order tile (and the recommended use thereof).

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games

Thanks for the clear up on the turn marker. But why 3 General Lee's/Grant's & Sherman's? Kinda redundant wouldn't you say and why so many turn markers then? seems that the game has allot of repeated components for no good reason, each counter sheet was exactly the same, why? I like the game, I'm just wondering if it was suppose to be this way or I have a bad set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Short version: we are taking advantage of some extra tile sheet space on a game that we are printing a BUNCH of (that $30 MSRP took some doin'). The trade-off is that the sheets had to be identical; we couldn't mix-n-match sheets to make these work. That said, they didn't need to be different: you've got everything you need, extra pieces to draw on for homebrew scenarios, and the scenarios are very specific as to the number and type of pieces that you need...

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.