Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Prologue: I've read suggestions regarding being able to heal a wound by using combinations of "supplies" (water/canned food/rice), with or without a pan, to make a meal that can heal a wound. This sounds cool and could be applied in several scenarios, but it will make the game easier since otherwise it is very difficult to heal a wound (Amy at Red; future promo survivors; one scenario includes a med kit). To counteract this, or just to make the game generally more difficult in the late game (and perhaps easier in the early game - keep reading), I thought of a variant. It could be used on its own or in combination with a "make a meal to heal" variant.

Motivation: I like the rule regarding wounds: When you take a wound, you also lose a piece of equipment. I can imagine zombies groping at me and taking something out of my hand or backpack. However, it seems anti-thematic that you get to choose what they take. Also, it can be devastating if a survivor gets hit before having a chance to search, as she might lose a valuable crowbar or fire axe before opening any doors, making it next to impossible to complete the mission.

Implementation: Instead of choosing which piece of equipment is lost, roll 1d6:
- On a roll of 1-5, lose equipment in inventory slot #1-5 (from left to right), where 2 and 4 are the equipment in hand. On a roll of 6, you choose the inventory slot as per the rules as written, with an exception as noted below.
- "Easy" variant: If there is nothing in that slot, you don't lose anything. You may also lose nothing when you roll a 6 and have an empty inventory slot, since you choose the slot regardless of whether or not it is occupied. Note: This option makes "Is that all you've got?" less powerful, since this rolling an empty slot will be fairly common in the early game... but this option might still be more challenging than playing with the rules as written later in the game when most inventory slots are full.
- "Hard" variant: If there is nothing in that slot, re-roll until an occupied slot is selected. If you have less than two pieces of equipment in total, you may skip rolling the die since the outcome is predetermined; e.g. lose your remaining equipment (if any) and gain a wound. Note: This option preserves the power of "Is that all you've got?" and is strictly more difficult than the rules as written. Consider yourself warned!
- "Zesty" variant: Same as "Hard", but if you roll a 6, you lose EVERYTHING in your inventory. $%@&!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foksieloy
Croatia
flag msg tools
You need kulen.
badge
How can you have any pudding?
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that allowing healing by getting 3 items is making the game any easier.

Getting 3 items requires time, and most deaths I seen so far were not of the lost the second wound to a single zombie variety, but of the "OH MY GOD THERE IS 30 OF THEM NOMNOMING ME DUE TO MULTIPLE EXTRA ACTIVATIONS".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
foksieloy wrote:
I don't think that allowing healing by getting 3 items is making the game any easier.

If that were the case, it would never be worth doing, even if the rules allowed it. I agree that I don't think it makes the game much easier, but I have had a survivor take an early wound (and lose a fire axe) and later had a pile of useless stuff in inventory... and if that rule existed, I could have at least used the supplies to heal the wound.

foksieloy wrote:
Getting 3 items requires time, and most deaths I seen so far were not of the lost the second wound to a single zombie variety, but of the "OH MY GOD THERE IS 30 OF THEM NOMNOMING ME DUE TO MULTIPLE EXTRA ACTIVATIONS".

I've seen deaths happen both ways (even when everyone in a zone had one wound and one zombie is left at the end of the round, and we had to decide who would die). But yes, a lot of deaths occur when an unwounded survivor takes more than one wound at one time.

These seem to be reasons not to play with a "make a meal to heal" variant. What do you think about the "roll when wounded to determine which item gets dropped" variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foksieloy
Croatia
flag msg tools
You need kulen.
badge
How can you have any pudding?
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually from a mechanics point of view i see nothing wrong with the 3 supplies = heal 1 wound rule. It seems fairly balanced.
I do not like it thematically. Simply said: food doesn't really heal you that way.

As for the other rule, it seems solid. Personally I won't be using it because it requires some extra rolling which might slow the game down, and secondly it makes the game harder which I do not find necessary at the moment for my group. But, it is a nice rule mechanically and thematically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
foksieloy wrote:
Actually from a mechanics point of view i see nothing wrong with the 3 supplies = heal 1 wound rule. It seems fairly balanced.
I do not like it thematically. Simply said: food doesn't really heal you that way.

You have a point, but there's a lot of things in this game that aren't thematic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach W
Australia
North Gosford
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Our group played with the three food items make a meal from game one because one of the guys got three food items in a row, had one wounded due to an early mistake, and only had a pan.

Although it doesn't make sense thematically there are many RPGs that have this behaviour. If you want you can imagine that the food has nano-bots in it and that Zombicide is set in the near future.

Regarding the inventory lose rule, I think that a hard variant would be that if you roll a 6 then you lose all your equipment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zesty wrote:
Regarding the inventory lose rule, I think that a hard variant would be that if you roll a 6 then you lose all your equipment.

Ouch! That might be a little too high on the variance (aka luck) scale for me. I mean, it's one thing to get unlucky and lose your chainsaw. It's another thing entirely to get unlucky and lose EVERYTHING! Besides, rolling a Molotov (6) is supposed to be a good thing, right?

*edit* "Zesty" variant added to the OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach W
Australia
North Gosford
New South Wales
flag msg tools
iNano78 wrote:
Ouch! That might be a little too high on the variance (aka luck) scale for me. I mean, it's one thing to get unlucky and lose your chainsaw. It's another thing entirely to get unlucky and lose EVERYTHING! Besides, rolling a Molotov (6) is supposed to be a good thing, right?

*edit* "Zesty" variant added to the OP.

I'm pretty sure Molotov are actually ones since they look like ones? If not we have been playing completely wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope.

Molotov = Good
Zombie = Bad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.