Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Russo
United States
Lansdale
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
So as you go through a campaign, the rules say the heroes can spend experience to "upgrade" their skills.

Does this mean there is a set number of skill slots for a hero and they have to swap out older skills for newer ones, or do they just accumulate and you get more and more skills as the campaign goes on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
They accumulate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Russo
United States
Lansdale
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ok thanks.

...Looks like things could get a little hectic for my wife as she tries to manage multiple heroes with an increasing amount of skills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Win it or bin it
badge
Win it or bin it
mbmbmbmbmb
el_chupacabra wrote:
Ok thanks.

...Looks like things could get a little hectic for my wife as she tries to manage multiple heroes with an increasing amount of skills.

At least the highest number of skills a hero can have is six, and at that they'd have to take every quest that awards bonus XP, and more or less always win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Russo
United States
Lansdale
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Gravey wrote:
el_chupacabra wrote:
Ok thanks.

At least the highest number of skills a hero can have is six, and at that they'd have to take every quest that awards bonus XP, and more or less always win.

She is actually doing a good job of handling 4 heroes at once right now (we've only played 2 quests so far), because it is easy to focus on one hero at a time during their turn. The only problems are the skills that help other heroes. There have been a bunch of times when she has moved on to the next hero's turn and then said something like, "Oh damn, I could have used hero X's ability to reroll that attack I just did with Y."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
el_chupacabra wrote:
Gravey wrote:
el_chupacabra wrote:
Ok thanks.

She is actually doing a good job of handling 4 heroes at once right now (we've only played 2 quests so far), because it is easy to focus on one hero at a time during their turn. The only problems are the skills that help other heroes. There have been a bunch of times when she has moved on to the next hero's turn and then said something like, "Oh damn, I could have used hero X's ability to reroll that attack I just did with Y."

I am two quests away from completing a campaign using 4 heroes myself, and yeah it does get pretty hectic. That is awesome that your wife plays, my gf just started a campaign with me and she is using 3 heroes. Life is good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Triu Greykith
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mustardayonnaiz wrote:
That is awesome that your wife plays, my gf just started a campaign with me and she is using 3 heroes. Life is good!

I think in my 25 year marriage, my wife has played a handful of games with me. [She does do crosswords & sudoku, and plays solitaire incessantly. I've tried to find games she might enjoy -- Scrabble, card games, etc. -- but without success.] Count your blessings. In my next life ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Triu wrote:
Count your blessings. In my next wife ...
Fixed it for you.

BTW, my wife does not like games either - and we have been married for 27 years, so we share a similar experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Russo
United States
Lansdale
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Robin wrote:
Triu wrote:
Count your blessings. In my next wife ...
Fixed it for you.

BTW, my wife does not like games either - and we have been married for 27 years, so we share a similar experience.

Well, Descent is a bit of an oddball in my wife's gaming tastes, but I think she enjoys it because of the adventure theme.

I'm sure there are women out there that love games and can't get their husbands to play too (although I'm willing to bet that number is lower).

Putting male/female differences aside, I really think that everyone is a gamer. I think it was Tom Vasel in one of his podcasts that said (paraphrasing), "Everyone is a gamer on some level, you just have to find the right game that appeals to them."

After I seriously got into the hobby a year or so ago, I started to notice the different basic mechanisms in games (e.g. set collection, pick up and deliver, press your luck, head-to-head attacking, etc.), and then I paid attention to what types of games my wife liked. (It doesn't hurt that she is already coming from a casual gaming family that plays basic card and dice games all the time together.) I did a bit of deduction based on that and I think I figured out a good idea of what her 'gamer profile' is:

- Can't be too complicated. She wants to have fun and not have to use her brain too much.
- She likes set collection.
- She likes pick up and deliver.
- She really loves press your luck.
- If there is a heavy theme, especially fantasy, that seems to count for a lot too.
- For the most part, she does not like direct confrontation or war games/games that are just attacking each other for the sake of attacking each other.

With those traits I can make a pretty good educated guess as to what I will actually get to bring to the table with her:

- Lost cities (simple, set collecting)
- Ticket to ride (simple, set collecting, building a network, low 'in your face' factor)
- Empire builder (network/engine building, and no attacking)
- Can't Stop (I'd say this is her absolute favorite due to the press your luck aspect and the dice)
- Martian Dice (quick, simple, press your luck, and dice)
- Elder Sign (dice, press your luck, and eery theme with good artwork)
- Dominion (simple rules and engine building)
- Descent (as I said, this is an oddball, but there is heavy adventure theme, dice, and 'collecting' in the form of armor and weapons)
- Lord of the Rings LCG was also a hit with her (to my amazement). Even though it is very 'cerebral' and heavy on rules/timing, the fantasy theme outweighs those.

...I think that King of Tokyo will be something she'll like because it seems light, involves dice, and it involves press your luck. My extensive collection of heroscape and my KS preorder of Ogre are games I know not to even attempt to take out of the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is really nice to see so many wives being able to play multiple Heroes. My wife and I haven't actually played this game yet (still reading rules, reading threads here in BGG), but will shortly.

I was getting concerned that my wife would have problems controlling more than 2 heroes. She does control 5 heroes easy in Super Dungeon Explore (by end of game, lots of hero upgrades per hero), and two heros in Arkham Horror, but I wasn't sure how much harder it would be for her to control 3 or 4 in this game.

I now suspect she will do just fine

-SK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.