Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Rallyman» Forums » Variants

Subject: Speed - Always 7 dices (reroll the same dices) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jean-François Pruneau
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mb
I have been thinking that it doesn't make sense that you can travel 7 tiles in 10 seconds when you start from the first gear (12345-White-White), and only 4 tiles/10 secs. when you are already at full speed (45WW).

I would try to make possible to re-roll the same dice more than once per turn, up to the maximum allowed ( 5 black die, 2 white). In that case, maybe the 5th gear should have 3 /!\ Warning signs then.

What do you think?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hornberger
United States
lockport
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think that would actually work for a Group B rally variant but instead have a 6th gear dice with 3 ! on it. Not sure how it would work with time cards though, would have to think about that one.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to look at the turns as random snapshots throughout the course. Aggregate over the entire stage you'll see that higher speed give you a better time, but many people have this immersion issue.

Just think about it this way:

You are racing against the clock, not other players, so your positions on the board are not relative to anything, therefore your turns are not relative to the times they incur. It's only when you finish the stage and get your total time does it matter.

Cameron
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Smeltzer
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think allowing a die to be rolled more than once would remove one of the major tactical points of the game.

Also, to start off in first, you must have finished in first or second, so you took 50 or 40 seconds last time. (Or perhaps you crashed and took a whole minute.) Think of the timing as covering the last part of this turn and the beginning of the next.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bagpuss42 wrote:
I think allowing a die to be rolled more than once would remove one of the major tactical points of the game.

Also, to start off in first, you must have finished in first or second, so you took 50 or 40 seconds last time. (Or perhaps you crashed and took a whole minute.) Think of the timing as covering the last part of this turn and the beginning of the next.
This.

The only time the mechanics don't fit with the theme is when this allows a slower player to catch up or overtake another player (somehow) and become ahead of them in turn order for the rest of the race, thereby potentially affecting the condition of a turn adjacent to a shortcut, for example.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's why when we play we space the players out by two turns in between.

Cameron
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McKenna
msg tools
Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
With regards to the 7 tiles/10 seconds from 0 gear or 4 tiles/10 seconds if in top gear: I know what you mean.

Maybe better think of it as travelled 11 tiles/20 seconds (or 5.5/10) instead?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Christophe Bouvier
France
Saint-Didier en Velay
Auvergne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Jotora wrote:
The only time the mechanics don't fit with the theme is when this allows a slower player to catch up or overtake another player (somehow) and become ahead of them in turn order for the rest of the race, thereby potentially affecting the condition of a turn adjacent to a shortcut, for example.


I agree : I think to propose in the future this rule that I wrote long time ago : you can go on the same space that an other driver only if same or superior gear is engaged.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-François Pruneau
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mb
dmcke013 wrote:
With regards to the 7 tiles/10 seconds from 0 gear or 4 tiles/10 seconds if in top gear: I know what you mean.

Maybe better think of it as travelled 11 tiles/20 seconds (or 5.5/10) instead?


Then 15/30 ?

I agree an important part of the game is about knowing when to accelerate and when to decelerate.

Maybe I should've taken it the other way around. Why not limiting the number of dices to 4/turn?

I know I look like I only want to change the game, but in fact, I like it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.