Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Can I play a queue card from my hand that I do not want to (or am unable to) activate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kneumann wrote:
Can I play a queue card from my hand that I do not want to (or am unable to) activate?

This is by no means official, but I'd say the latter "yes," but the former "no." It would help to have concrete examples.

The one I am thinking of is the one that allows you to look at the next two delivery cards. If the day is Friday, this is a pretty useless card (all the cards are in the trash or played up so there is nothing to look at), but if you play it as your first card of the round it keeps you in the round, even though you cannot carry out the action.

I can't at the moment think of an example of a card I'd want to play but not want (as opposed to not being able to) activate, which is why I'd like to hear an example.

To make the conversation clear, the reason why people would want to play a card if they (can't/don't want) to take an action is (1) to get through the deck to "better" cards for future rounds, and (2) to be able to stay in the current round as once you pass you can't go back in. I'm not missing a third reason, am I?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks Jon. I agree it is a rare instance, but I can think of a few situations where you may not want to execute the action - in particular if the card is possible to execute but does not really help you at the time near the end of a week (i.e. add a good of a type just delivered but you have no workers in those particular lines), but buys you some time to wait until it comes back to you this round to play another card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In newest rules is clearly stated that you have to use (and be able to use) the card's effect in 100%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Le Huray
Jersey
St. Johns
United Kingdom
msg tools
badge
I like unusual themes.
mbmbmbmbmb
My only issue with this is that the people who happen to have drawn those useless cards at the beginning of the week are stuck with them until the end of the week and are basically down to two cards where others have more. Let me give you an example:

In week four my brother in law and myself had both drawn increase delivery but there was no stock left so we couldn't use those cards and we were stuck for the whole of that week with one fewer cards to play as we ended up with them early.You may be wondering how the game continued, well people kept playing stock taking cards which meant the the game couldn't end as there were still things left in the shop. This happened quite a few times with other cards.It would be nice to be able to get rid of the useless cards that inhibit your play for the rest of the week.

Don't get me wrong I loved the game and we had a blast. The first game we played wrong as we had to many goods but that seemed to work well but the second game, which we played correctly, ended up in a strange stalemate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, the "must be able to do the action to play the card" seems like a very poor addition to the game. It would be fine, if every turn you have the option to 1) play a card (with the restriction), 2) pass (done for card playing) or 3) discard a card (which lets you stay in the play order).

That would make sense. Any chance the designers might comment on this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.