Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob W
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
After the fun I had with my 18 and 22 man games of Talisman, I decided to squeeze more players in around the table and got 26 characters to fit. The same rules as my last game applied, but this one was... expedited.

Players (in turn order): Gypsy, Thief, Rogue, Priest, Philosopher, Highlander, Sorceress, Troll, Necromancer, Dwarf, Monk, Vampiress, Minstrel, Prophetess, Leprechaun, Warrior, Wizard, Gladiator, Assassin, Swashbuckler, Ghoul, Druid, Amazon, Valkyrie, Alchemist, and Warlock.

"On the other hand, gentlemen... What if we gave a war and everybody came?"

The first round of turns was uneventful. The Priest got an Amulet, the Valkyrie attacked the Rogue, but it ended in a standoff. Mostly, it was as dull as one usually expects from the first round of Talisman. In the second round, things picked up... a LOT.

On turn 34 (8 turns into the second round), the Troll thought it would be a good idea to beat on the Philosopher. The Philosopher wanted to dissuade the Troll from this type of behavior, and cast Finger of Death...

(At this point gameplay was interrupted by the Prophetess slowly banging her head against the wall as the Necromancer started practicing his maniacal laugh. The Minstrel got the message and started taking notes for his next ballad, and the Gypsy started tidying up her spell-storing pouch.)

... The Necromancer cleared his throat and announced that he was casting the Hydra Spell. Finger of Death would now target everyone except himself and the Priest (who had an Amulet). This whole concept stopped the Philosopher dead in his tracks (technically, it only brought him down to one life - the Troll's club was scheduled to stop him dead in his tracks in the very near future).

As 48 life tokens left the table, the Leprechaun grabbed Hydra with a Spell Call, and the Gypsy grabbed Finger of Death. Combat resumed, and the Troll graciously answered the Philosopher's questions about the existence of an afterlife.

Since the Gypsy did not also grab Spell Call, the rest of the table realized she didn't have any more space to store spells, and the ones she had weren't castable at the moment to clear up more space. Everyone was free to launch all their spells before the Gypsy could start scavenging them again. The Warlock used Mind Steal to grab the Hydra Spell from the Leprechaun, and the Sorceress used a second Mind Steal to take it from the Warlock.

"I have a PhD. in Horribleness!"

On the third trip around the board, the Gladiator took the Amulet from the Priest, but nothing else noteworthy happened. The fourth round, however, made round 2 look like a pillow fight:

On turn 86, the Necromancer was trying to work up the nerve to kill the Gypsy with his Soul Shatter spell - she's just too powerful in massive games for any spellcaster to want her around. The problem was that the Sorceress was holding the prized Hydra Spell, and he didn't want to risk anything unfortunate happening. After some careful calculations, he did the only reasonable thing - he attacked the Sorceress directly and hit her with Soul Shatter.

The Sorceress is a vindictive person, she was about to die, and she had the chance to retaliate against the person who was killing her. What the Necromancer knew was the Sorceress was also evil to the core, and she wanted revenge on everybody, not just him. Once again, the entire board took 2 damage.

As 15 players left the game and 15 corpses entered it, the surviving characters started scouting the board for the spaces with the best loot. Unfortunately, nobody had had more than 4 turns so far, and there weren't a lot of items to be claimed. Players were left with only three choices for how to spend their time:
1: Refill their diminished health pools.
2: Kill the poor souls left with only 1 life.
3: Seek revenge on the Necromancer.

"You have sacrificed sure footing for a killing stroke."

As players rushed around trying to pick each other off, they learned about another aspect of the game that was feeling neglected - the board. While the Monk killed the Vampiress, the Troll and the Druid were killed by creatures from the adventure deck. The Necromancer got toaded and the Gladiator was more than happy to finish him off.

"I've had it up to here with your rules!"

On turn 157, the Warlock made it to the Plain of Peril. Creative use of game mechanics got him past the Mines with only 6 craft, and then he realized that he'd forgotten about the Vampire's Tower and the Pit Fiends. He got past the Tower with one life, no fate, and an effective 4 Strength. Still, he was able to beat 3 Pit Fiends without dying, and entered the Crown of Command.

On entering the Crown, he revealed the Battle Royale ending. The only other character with a Talisman was the Prophetess, who had four lives to the Warlock's one, but the Warlock had one more each of Strength and Craft. Neither one had fate, and neither one had Armor.

The Warlock's Poisoned Dagger gave him slightly better odds at Battle than at Pychic Combat, so he attacked twice in Battle and reduced the Prophetess to 2 life. He switched to Psychic Combat so that he could finish her with Soul Shatter, but she had a Counterspell and outrolled him to claim final victory. (The Warlock's losing roll had been a 1, and if he'd stuck to battle, the Poisoned Dagger would have saved him and led him to victory).

Conclusion
This was one of the most entertaining games of talisman I've played, with two turns that each resulted in 40+ damage dealt. The Warlock got to use a trick I've known about for a while but never seen in practice, and the Prophetess managed a come from behind victory after being a non-entity for the first 95% of the game.

Some final statistics:

Total Playing time - about 4 hours
Total number of turns - 207
Average number of turns taken - 7.96
Number of turns taken to reach the Crown of Command - 21

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesomely crazy. Or crazily awesome, whatever's better.
Underdog victories are sweet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
What was the Warlock's trick? I'd love to hear it if you want to share more stories

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob W
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
thirteenthirtyseven wrote:
What was the Warlock's trick? I'd love to hear it if you want to share more stories

Lightning Bolt.

He cast it on himself as soon as he landed on the Mines. It kept him from being able to roll for the Mines' effect, so he wasn't teleported anywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Eastoe
United Kingdom
Street
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zookeep wrote:
thirteenthirtyseven wrote:

Lightning Bolt.

He cast it on himself as soon as he landed on the Mines. It kept him from being able to roll for the Mines' effect, so he wasn't teleported anywhere.

I'll agree that the Spell says it can be cast at any time on a character. However I think in this scenario, the character would have to roll for the Mines on his next turn instead (as though he had just landed there). The same would apply if a character landed on the Lord of Darkness space in the Dungeon. The Lightning Bolt would end his turn and on his next turn he would have to fight the Lord of Darkness (again as though he had landed there). This is certainly the way we play it and I think this is the best way to handle it!

Ell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob W
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
While I see what you're saying, I would argue that it works because the space on which you start your turn has no impact on your current turn (the exceptions being Dice with Death, Pits, Werewolf Den, which all specifically state that you must meet a requirement to pass them). Since the Mines have no stated requirement, I believe they work more like the Temple (if you get Lightning Bolted before you can roll for the Temple, you're out of luck and don't get to encounter it on your next turn).

As for LoD, reading the rules on Lord of Darkness + Lightning Bolt was what gave me the Mines idea - http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?e.... In that thread, the conclusion was that you don't need to encounter the space again, but by choosing to move clockwise, Dungeon rules allow you to revisit it.

On a side note, I was going to add a house rule to disallow it, but then I remembered cards like Arnkell and Cloak of Feathers, which are more reliably obtained and let you skip the entire gauntlet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Eastoe
United Kingdom
Street
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zookeep wrote:
While I see what you're saying, I would argue that it works because the space on which you start your turn has no impact on your current turn (the exceptions being Dice with Death, Pits, Werewolf Den, which all specifically state that you must meet a requirement to pass them). Since the Mines have no stated requirement, I believe they work more like the Temple (if you get Lightning Bolted before you can roll for the Temple, you're out of luck and don't get to encounter it on your next turn).

As for LoD, reading the rules on Lord of Darkness + Lightning Bolt was what gave me the Mines idea - http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?e.... In that thread, the conclusion was that you don't need to encounter the space again, but by choosing to move clockwise, Dungeon rules allow you to revisit it.

On a side note, I was going to add a house rule to disallow it, but then I remembered cards like Arnkell and Cloak of Feathers, which are more reliably obtained and let you skip the entire gauntlet.

Page 19 of the main rulebook:

"The encounter instructions on each space in the Inner Region must be completed before a character can move on toward the Crown of Command."

I think this rule is quite relevant to the scenario. Each to their own rules of course!

Ell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob W
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Well played, and thanks for clearing it up. I enjoyed finding it when I thought it worked, but I'm happy to know that I don't have to worry about it in future games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Brackney
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
talismanamsilat wrote:
"The encounter instructions on each space in the Inner Region must be completed before a character can move on toward the Crown of Command."

Strictly interpreting that would suggest that no one can approach the crown until both the strength AND craft sides of the inner region have been passed. I've never seen the game played that way, and I can't believe that was the intent. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Eastoe
United Kingdom
Street
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeiram wrote:
talismanamsilat wrote:

Strictly interpreting that would suggest that no one can approach the crown until both the strength AND craft sides of the inner region have been passed. I've never seen the game played that way, and I can't believe that was the intent. Thoughts?

Well the rule doesn't mean that, it means a character must complete the instructions on a space before he can move onto the next space (whichever route he has chosen to take)! A character cannot simply Lightning Bolt himself on a space in the Inner Region to ignore the instructions on a space there. Yes he may cast it, which will end his turn. But on his next turn, he must follow the instructions on the space before he can continue his movement in the Inner Region. Remember that spaces in the Inner Region act differently from spaces in the Outer or Middle Region; the Lord of Darkness & Eyrie spaces also act differently!

Ell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kappy
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
These posts very much entertain me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.