Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob ZoBell
United States
North Salt Lake
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclaimer: I and the rest of the players in this session are all coworkers with the designer of the game.

We played two rounds of one of the pre-production copies of this game at lunch.

During the first game, we tentatively started heading up, some of us having a hard time getting off the ground at all for a couple of turns. As we started getting more familiar with the Hazards and other effects, we started more competently blocking each other and moving our way up. The game came down to one of the other players ahead of me on the "Narrow Bridge" (only one player at a time on it). Knowing the cards that I had in my hand, I had on an earlier turn played a pathway card that looked like it was helping the player that was ahead of me more than it was helping me. With the other player ahead, and blocking me, I played my super-combo of a +1 action card to lay the final pathway to the treasure, then my Rocket Boots to go two spaces (over the obstacle as well) and do my last move into the treasure for the win. A fun combo to pull off a surprise victory.

For the second game, we all started off vertically, but soon found ourselves clumped together. We played much more defensively, not willing to a move that would benefit us next turn if it would benefit someone else even sooner. Now that we had an idea of some of the crazy effect cards we were guarding against we would do things like place an obstacle in case they had a double move, or a Rocket Boots. As more folks got trapped in cul-de-sacs, they would start drawing cards just hoping to find obstacles for those who were about to win. In spite of that, the two player nearest the top had almost acheived a breakthrough when the draw deck ran out, ending the game. I and another player tied for first, for both being the closest to the goal.

Overall I feel that this game is a fun, chaotic, stabby (as in, stab the other players in the back) light game. I was pleasantly surprised at how different our two sessions were. This game for me rose above other similar games Munchkin in that, besides the clobber-the-leader-while-advancing mentality, you had a whole other element of puzzle-solving and route planning. I enjoyed the "how do I help myself without helping my neighbor too much" aspect. I'm glad I backed this game on Kickstarter, regardless of whether or not I know the designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Kilcrease
United States
SLC
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review, Rob!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob ZoBell
United States
North Salt Lake
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
krinklechip wrote:

My pleasure.

Brian was nice enough to let me borrow the demo copy to try out with my 6 and 8 year-old boys. I'll report back here with how much fun they had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report and very compelling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob ZoBell
United States
North Salt Lake
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oppenheimer wrote:
krinklechip wrote:

My pleasure.

Brian was nice enough to let me borrow the demo copy to try out with my 6 and 8 year-old boys. I'll report back here with how much fun they had.

I just realized that I neglected to report back as I had promised.

My 6 and 8 year-old (boys) both loved this game. As brothers, they naturally got into messing with each other, and they really enjoyed the puzzle aspect. Sometimes the six year old would start chuckling to himself as he thought through possible plans. We always knew when he was about to pull a combo from his grin and the loud laughter as he made his move. I think we played it six or seven times with them, with the games usually taking from 15-35 minutes each.

The younger brother actually started crying when I told him that I had to take the game back to the designer. He thinks that waiting for March is just too long. I think that the game was, if anything, even more successful for this age group than for the group of hard-core gamers that were featured in the session report.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.