Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Android-Netrunner [+] [View All]
Agha Ahsan
United States
Los Altos Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paying to install subsequent pieces of ICE. And Bad Publicity's generated credit for runners. Luckily that last one hasn't been an issue yet. But the fact that I have been able to install ICE willy nilly before?

oooops?

Almost left out diamond'd cards and console/region and being able to only have one out at a time... though for the last part it does say it explicitly on the card itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Accessed agendas *must* be stolen by the Runner. (The runner cannot choose not to steal.) Very rarely will the runner not want to steal an accessed agenda, but at least one example is a runner with 0 cards stealing an agenda from Jinteki.

2. I'm sure many runners are accessing HQ and R&D incorrectly (when there are multiple cards). Many subtelties there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
We always seem to forget to charge for 2nd and 3rd Ice installs. Did they release an official ruling on when you get to look at multiple cards on the R&D deck?

Another question that pops up for us is the handling of the different sub routines. Does the card Tinker override EVERY sub-routine? We are not quite sure on how Tinker is supposed to be played.

Loving the game so far even with the mistakes and I just finished reading the whole rule book for a 2nd time so hopefully when we play tomorrow things will be better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Dodge
United States
PACIFIC PALISADES
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omahavice wrote:
... Did they rlease an official ruling on when you get to look at multiple card on the R&D deck?

Another question that pops up for us is the handling of the different sub routines. Does the card Tinker override EVERY sub-routine? We are not quite sure on how Tinker is supposed to be played....

What ruling are you looking for regarding R&D? If you access multiple cards, usually you can choose the order, but R&D is a special case and you must access them in order from the top of the deck. Whenever you access a card you must complete your access before accessing another card. So if you get to access 3 cards from R&D, you draw one, look at it, steal (if possible) or trash it (if desired). If you did neither, you set it aside and draw the next card. Repeat until you are done accessing cards and then put any cards you didn't trash/steal back onto R&D so the order of the cards is maintained.

Sorry if that didn't answer your question.

As for tinker, are you referring to the shaper card "Tinkering"? It assigns 3 ice subtypes to a piece of ice until the end of the turn. This doesn't modify the ice's subroutines at all. It just means that you can use pretty much any icebreaker on that piece of ice this turn. Especially handy on a 2 ICE+ run with the Shaper icebreakers that keep their strength+ throughout an entire run...

RJD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agha Ahsan
United States
Los Altos Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tinker is a fairly basic card. All it does is give a particular piece of ICE all the ICE sub-types, so that you can then use any icebreaker on it. For instance if you have a code gate ICE out, but the runner only has an icebreaker that interacts with sentries, then the runner plays Tinker on that ICE and uses his icebreaker as if the ICE was also a sentry type.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hollis
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
rbelikov wrote:
1. Accessed agendas *must* be stolen by the Runner. (The runner cannot choose not to steal.) Very rarely will the runner not want to steal an accessed agenda, but at least one example is a runner with 0 cards stealing an agenda from Jinteki.

To confuse matters even more, runners can opt not to pay additional costs for stealing agendas (e.g., red herrings), in which case the agenda is not stolen.

Just got this email reply from Lukas Litzsinger:

I said:

Re: not having to pay additional costs, does that mean if a runner has 6 credits, accesses an agenda (say, breaking news) that is protected by a red herrings, he can opt to not pay 5 credits and thus not score breaking news?

Lukas said:

Correct
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawcomic
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
The stuff that dreams are made of...
mbmbmbmbmb
I almost always forget to pay to advance an agenda. Until my opponent, who thinks I am a cheat, yells at me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agha Ahsan
United States
Los Altos Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawcomic wrote:
I almost always forget to pay to advance an agenda. Until my opponent, who thinks I am a cheat, yells at me.

The way I avoid making that mistake is using the credit that I'm paying with as the advancement token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawcomic
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darney wrote:

The way I avoid making that mistake is using the credit that I'm paying with as the advancement token.

My last opponent taught me that trick. While yelling at me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Lawcomic wrote:

This one I have solved by just using the token paid and flipping it onto the card.

I always overlook paying for level 2+ ice but now I've gotten pretty diligent about it.

In terms of basic rules that have been clarified for me, mostly here:
-You only flatline when forced to discard from an EMPTY hand, not when discarding your last card.

-The only time you actually need an icebreaker to deal with ICE is when you want to break its subroutines. Any card that allows you to "bypass" ICE does not require you to "encounter" that card in the sense of matching strength, type, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawcomic
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AstroLad wrote:
Any card that allows you to "bypass" ICE does not require you to "encounter" that card in the sense of matching strength, type, etc.

Careful with your nomenclature. Bypassing ICE can still involve encountering it. You just don't use a breaker on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Hooper
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Darney wrote:
Lawcomic wrote:

This is why I'm not convinced by A:NR having all these different tokens. Original NR and a pile of glass beads for everything works perfectly. Never any confusion over what a counter was and no way you forgot to pay to advance. (Actually the breaker that needed a dice was a faff but people onlt ever played it for a joke anyway)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Worth
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
With net/meat damage, the card(s) you lose is/are random, you don't get to pick. It's worse than I thought! Usually you can identify a card or two you can afford to lose, but it it might be that awesome card in your hand... makes you think more before that run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ryan
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ceekay wrote:
With net/meat damage, the card(s) you lose is/are random, you don't get to pick. It's worse than I thought! Usually you can identify a card or two you can afford to lose, but it it might be that awesome card in your hand... makes you think more before that run.

Oooh. Ouch. I didn't realize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dmch2 wrote:

This is why I'm not convinced by A:NR having all these different tokens. Original NR and a pile of glass beads for everything works perfectly. Never any confusion over what a counter was and no way you forgot to pay to advance. (Actually the breaker that needed a dice was a faff but people onlt ever played it for a joke anyway)

The credit tokens are the advancement tokens on the back. So to advance a card you take a credit from your pool and put in on your advanced card the other way up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AstroLad wrote:
-The only time you actually need an icebreaker to deal with ICE is when you want to break its subroutines. Any card that allows you to "bypass" ICE does not require you to "encounter" that card in the sense of matching strength, type, etc.

You still encounter the ICE in order to BYPASS it. What you don't do is break any subroutines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
AstroLad wrote:

You still encounter the ICE in order to BYPASS it. What you don't do is break any subroutines.

So does that mean Femme Fatale needs to match strength in order to bypass ICE? I've been reading about Draco in the new pack being a dead card even if you dump like 12 credits into it with her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboardjunkie wrote:

So does that mean Femme Fatale needs to match strength in order to bypass ICE?

NO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawcomic
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only if you buy three core sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurosh Nahavandi
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have to put this in here because I consider myself 'smart' but after losing handily 2 times to runner, then switching and winning as runner rather handily, I came here and luckily found out that:

Corp has a 'free'/required draw at the beginning of their turn!!!

Now I need to go back to the rule book and find this rule that both myself and friend somehow missed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
* Corp paying for ICE past the first piece: missed that the first two or three games.

* We had to scrap our very first game because the Runner (who was, thankfully, not me) had not actually internalized the fact that the Runner starts with 4 MU. It makes it a lot more difficult to run on ICEd servers when you can't play an Icebreaker without first finding a hardware upgrade. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Gadgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryudoowaru wrote:
* Corp paying for ICE past the first piece: missed that the first two or three games.

* We had to scrap our very first game because the Runner (who was, thankfully, not me) had not actually internalized the fact that the Runner starts with 4 MU. It makes it a lot more difficult to run on ICEd servers when you can't play an Icebreaker without first finding a hardware upgrade.

Or even that you don't even need an icebreaker to attempt and possibly succeed a run. Or that if the corp doesn't protect both HQ and R&D in the first turn (or does but doesn't have the creds to rez them both) the runner could very well be making a couple of runs on his/her first turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DenGad wrote:
ryudoowaru wrote:

* We had to scrap our very first game because the Runner (who was, thankfully, not me) had not actually internalized the fact that the Runner starts with 4 MU. It makes it a lot more difficult to run on ICEd servers when you can't play an Icebreaker without first finding a hardware upgrade.

Or even that you don't even need an icebreaker to attempt and possibly succeed a run. Or that if the corp doesn't protect both HQ and R&D in the first turn (or does but doesn't have the creds to rez them both) the runner could very well be making a couple of runs on his/her first turn.

Hence a common first corp turn:

Hedge Fund
Ice HQ
Ice R&D

I'm rarely disappointed to see those in my starting hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
Or don't ice HQ and give your opponent your best poker face That's mine, by the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.