Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
Germany
Würzburg
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
The rules state that defending pieces can only be named if the haven't been named as defending pieces for another attack earlier that turn from a different approach.
Following example:
Van Damme holds a locale with a corps of three units, being in the reserve. First I feint an attack with a cavalry unit by road through one approach. The french player names Van Dammes full corps as defending units. The attack is not finished because of the feint. Van Damme moves one unit onto the approach as he has to do so. I then feint another attack with another cavalry road move on another approach. Can Van Damme defend this attack with his two left units or are they seen as having defended against an attack already, which would lead to a french retreat with quite a lot loses. So far after one full game I took that as possible as I thought it would be way to heavy if you could force units to retreat that easily. But taking the rules by word I'm not quite sure I handled it right so far...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Van Morrison and Joey DeFrancesco - You're Driving Me Crazy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ElFluppe wrote:
Van Damme holds a locale with a corps of three units, being in the reserve. First I feint an attack with a cavalry unit by road through one approach. The french player names Van Dammes full corps as defending units. The attack is not finished because of the feint. Van Damme moves one unit onto the approach as he has to do so. I then feint another attack with another cavalry road move on another approach. Can Van Damme defend this attack with his two left units or are they seen as having defended against an attack already, which would lead to a french retreat with quite a lot loses.

No, you can't use those units to defend a second time. Seeing that another Allied attack was possible from another approach, Van Damme should have allocated only 1 or 2 units to the initial attack, so he would have something left for the next one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Germany
Würzburg
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Wow, I need to change my whole gamingstyle.
Independent cavalry therefore is extremly powerful.

Thanks for the reply!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kåre Dyvik
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, this is precisely the excruciating choice you have to make when you are attacked. If you have the strength to receive a real attack from several approaches (in succession), you're OK. If not, well, you have to bet from where the real attack will come, and save your strongest defence for that approach. And you must consider what may happen the next turn, and take care not to let weak forces be left to defend alone from an approach. If they are overwhelmed, everybody else must evacuate the locale.
Who said it should be easy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Germany
Würzburg
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
nappeto wrote:
Who said it should be easy?

Well, initially with having played on a wrong ruleunderstanding it seemed to be waaaaaay way to strong to be able to force units to retreat that easily (it is, however, not that easy after all as an attacker), but now after two to three small games with a few corps it really adds to the game for me because its so much more thrilling to get overview of every unit around you as one unit after another from your locale is forced to defend. And even if you can beat your enemy by that tactic, you can end up in a conquered locale where your corps is left alone for annihilation in the next turn. This game just offers such an amazing tactical depth. Sometimes a great defeat lies within a small victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.