Subject: If I clean house, I'm getting a game: but what? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
KB
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After a week of the job I don't like that nevertheless pays the bills, and having finished the days baking for my love-to-do-it but doesn't pay the bills job, what exciting thing am I filling my Saturday with? Housework!shake

I am doing it because it needs to be done, because the music is good and because I am going to buy a game when it is done. I am thinking of Lost Cities, because I am looking for a game that I can play with my kids, one on one. We have a fair stock of multi-player games, with a bunch more that are on various and sundry Christmas lists, so I really want a good two-player. I thought of this mainly because it seems to be really high up on the geeklists that are all about two player games. What I am looking for here are some suggestions. And if you've played it with you kids, even better! Mine are 11 & 13, both gamers.
Merci!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Huddleston
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played Lost Cities, but I would recommend Jambo and San Juan (up to four players on this one) as excellent 2 player games. These two games have received the most plays in my home in the last few weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Poulos
United States
Oak Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
I guess there's more to starting a game company than just having a name... :(
badge
What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, a gaming machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this gamer does is sleep and eat and place little meeples, and that's all.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the above poster about Jambo. I played that for the first time recently and really liked it and want to play it again soon. However, if you don't have lost cities yet I'd be hard pressed to recommend Jambo over Lost Cities. Jambo may be a bit more of a better game, but Lost Cities seems to be such a standard that you just need to have it. It's very good and enjoyed by a whole range of people and is a little more interesting in terms of theme than 'Jambo means hello in Swahili' so seems to be a bit easier to get others to play.
Another 2-person game you might want to look at is Deflexion, it's falls closer to chess on the War->Go scale of 2-player games, but it's still quite fun and can go pretty quick if you play with a clock or just a willing inclination to move pretty fast and let the laser hit what it may.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat T
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As you don't list what games you already have, it is kind of hard to recommend one. My Son just turned 14 and his 11 yo sister got him Memoir 44. He is really enjoying playing it. Especially as his grandfather, (my father) fought on D-Day with the allies. Assaulting Sword Beach with the British Troups (representing Newfoundland)! In fact we have that senerio set up on the table ready to go the morning. Once all the practicing and chores are done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KB
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Patt wrote:
As you don't list what games you already have, it is kind of hard to recommend one. My Son just turned 14 and his 11 yo sister got him Memoir 44. He is really enjoying playing it. Especially as his grandfather, (my father) fought on D-Day with the allies. Assaulting Sword Beach with the British Troups (representing Newfoundland)! In fact we have that senerio set up on the table ready to go the morning. Once all the practicing and chores are done!

The only two player games we have are:
Othello
Chinese Checker
Mille Bournes
Scan
Blink
and Gold digger, which we don't like

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McIlhatton
New Zealand
Palmerston North
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride. It plays from 2 to 5.

Or if you want something a bit more Chaotic, Fearsome Floors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I don't have Roma yet (winging its way to me), but it sounds right up your alley if you like the other suggestions above.

I have to say I also really like StreetSoccer, Hive & Battle Line.

Two games that seem great, but that I have not played enough to really recommend are Shazamm and Dungeon Twister.

If you can find Kupferkessel, it is great too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Here's a vote for Travel Blokus. Also, all of the GIPF series of games are 2 player - my personal favorite is TAMSK, but YINSH might be a better place to "start". If perfect information games aren't your cup of tea, don't ignore Battle Line; same designer as Lost Cities, as well as being a card game. Lost Cities would also be a most excellent choice.

Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also look into Cartagena

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strong seconds here for Hive, Kupferkessel, YINSH, and Shazamm! I'd also recommend Phoenix.

IMO (and my husband's), Lost Cities is a bore. Our 8 year old likes it, but she'd still rather play Shazamm, Kupferkessel, Odin's Ravens, or Blue Moon. We wanted to like Cartagena, but it just wasn't any fun for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation.

15 mins to play 1 side, 30 for both players to play both sides. Great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert .
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Get Der Untergang von Pompeji.. Scales amazingly well from 2-4 players, kids adore it, and it has far more strategy and tactics than people realise. Most people that rate it after only 1 play, are missing the entire depth of it - which isn't apparent from 1 play.

It's just a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
If you are interested in Lord of the Rings: Confrontation, wait for the imminent Confrontation Deluxe with more character variety.

If you are looking for something with lots of theme, I like two player Citadels, but others don't seem to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat T
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So ...? Tell us. What did you reward your self with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KB
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sniff...a store that had just closed. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat T
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
awwwwww

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.