Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
Today we played our first four player game of Ascension and since I log and comment all my plays for the 100 play challenge and since the game was a quite interessting one I decided to write a session report.

As I said before we were four players: my spouse and me who knew the game quite well, Daniel who played it once before and Yvonne who played for the first time. Since she knew other deckbuilding games the game was explained in less than 5 minutes and we could start quick.

As far as I understand it there are two main differences between a 2p and a 4p game. While in a 2p game it is very important to influence the center row in a way to allways make it worse for your opponent, you have to concentrate on yourself in a 4p game. The second difference is that you get fewer turns in a 4p game because a 2p game is played for 60 crystals (30 per player) while a 4pgame is played for 90 crystals (22.5 per player). Therefore I decided that not wasting point would be very important in a 4p game.

The initial center row was kind of a worst case: lots of cards that required 6+ runes or 5+ fighting strength. The first three turns I got 4 runes and because I did not want to waste points I bought Heavy Infantries instead of the Mystics that I normaly prefer. After a few rounds everbody was sure that Yvonne was winning. She aquired some constructs and was gerally able to use her cards quite effecively. The cards I got until that point all leaned towards fighting which is not what I normly do. But luck was on my side and I got a lot of monsters to fight and did not have to fight too many cultists.

When the game ended I had the most crystals but not one card that gave more than one point. Everybody was convinced that Yvonne and her constructs had one but the final score was quite a surprise:

me 57
Yvonne 56
my spouse 55
Daniel 46

I had won! Obviously not wasting points was a good tactic. Maybe I should try the same in our next 2p game: simply buying the cards that give the most points without looking at the effects. But I think this tactic will not work too often...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Tullis
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice session report!

I think, near the end of the game, buying cards for the sake of their points is a perfect viable strategy. Chances are, they're not going to get through the full deck cycle and into your hand, and even if they do, it's not a huge amount of clogging to your deck if it's only the last few turns.

I think just buying for points from the beginning, though, would be a bad decision. Still have to have the engine running.

Again, good report!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew tosch
msg tools
You seem to have misread the rules on the honor points. You play 90 for a 3 player game and 120 for a 4 player game. That way it is always 30 points per player.

I do enjoy that you can make it what ever length you want (I sometimes do 40 or 50 per player). And I like how the winner is hard to determine before thegme is over.

Edit: I didn't realize there was already a second edition. I tried looking it up but to no effect. I assume the points per player were just changed. But if you get to play another 4 player game, try it with 120 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Dibbler
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fenix44 wrote:
You seem to have misread the rules on the honor points. You play 90 for a 3 player game and 120 for a 4 player game. That way it is always 30 points per player.

Quoting from the rule book of the basic game (p. 11)

"Two players = 60 Honor
Three players = 75 Honor
Four players = 90 Honor"

Maybe they changed that in one of the other sets though. I did not check that.

Edit: Typo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.