Subject: Spending Clicks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edwin Karat
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On some ice such as Heimdall 1.0, there is text that lets the runner spend clicks to break a subroutine. Can you spend clicks in the middle of a run, or only before the run, assuming it is already rezzed? In general, can you spend clicks in the middle of an action?

In the Action Phase section:
"* Trigger a () ability on an active card (cost varies).

Whenever the Runner spends clicks on one of these actions, he is considered to be taking an action and cannot take another action until the current action fully resolves."

This is the rule that prevents you from, say, spending a click in the middle of the run to earn an extra credit you need. So, shouldn't this apply to Heimdall 1.0 (and similar ice) as well, such that you can't break the subroutines while making a run? On the other hand, does it make sense to break the subroutine outside the run? (You could say it remains broken for the rest of the turn, but to the best of my knowledge, it doesn't work like that.)

Logically, the only way out I see would be to say that what is on the ice isn't a tiggered/paid ability, but what is it then? How do we know what is and is not a paid ability?

Under Paid Abilities (which is under Triggered Abilities):
"Paid abilities can be triggered ... and at certain points during a run, unless the ability requires a click, in which case it must be triggered as an action."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paid abilities are always listed in the form of cost:effect (There will always be a colon there).

Normally you cannot use clicks in the middle of a run, but Bioroid ice allows you to spend clicks you still have as a different way to break its subroutines (Thematically this means you are spending some time talking to the Bioroid AI.)

Think of the Golden Rule, if the text of a card directly conflicts with the rulebook, the card text takes precedence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bell
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spending a click to get past heimdall isn't taking an action. It's just what it says it is, spending a click to break a subroutine. Breaking a subroutine is totally allowed in the middle of an action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we found "Question 1" for the FAQ, whenever it comes out.

Approaching and interacting with Ice
Bioroid Ice
Heimdall/Ichi ICE with "spend clicks to break subroutines": Access required?
Runner subtype icebreaker strength vs corp (different) ice subtype strength question ?
Haas ice

This is almost as prevalent as in AGoT "If I take someone's icon away, are they out of the challenge" question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
It probably should be in the FAQ because it has been asked a few times, but this is one of the parts of the game that was easy to understand because it cannot work any other way.

But in the original game, the same questions did crop up. Some trying to play demolition run and makers eye at the same time for example to trash 3 cards from R&D, but the fact is you play a card that tells you to do something, so you do it, complete it, and then you can do something else.

HB ice, of course you can spend those clicks in the middle of the run, so this breaks the rule on spending clicks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The golden rule applies here. While interacting with a Bioroid, the Runner may spend a Click (if available) for a special effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy York
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
It seems to me this is why they have separate words for "Clicks" and "Actions". You normally spend clicks to take actions, but when card text supports it, clicks can be spent in other ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.