United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Azeltir wrote:
That seems to be doing one more advance than you have credits for.

You are correct!

So that's a turn two possibility

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Score and activate the Accelerated Beta Test
Install/Rez the three ICE you just drew

OR Runner runs Archives and scores the three agenda you were just forced to trash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

OR Runner runs Archives and scores the three agenda you were just forced to trash.

I was off by a credit, was trying to figure out how the Corp got 4 ICE out in a short period of time.

HB can pull the above off across 2 turns, but that still leaves an opening for the Runner at the end of turn 1.

The point remains: Runners must Run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe they were playing Shipment from Mirrormorph wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just another data point. I won two of my four games last night by running early and often, and usually with no cards in play. I admit Inside Job helped me on the second win...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
I actually try to stall the corp from time to time by intentionally running on something I think is a trap. If the corp doesn't have a bit engine running I am willing to set off a Snare to drain 4 bits and leave the corp with no money. If I've got the cards in hand, it's a tremendous advantage. It'll take forever to install more ice and be able to actually pay to rez it. Not to mention installing an agenda in a fort where the runner might just have seen all the ice or installing an agenda without the necessary bits to actually advance it.

The runner might lose some cards on traps or take some brain damage, but keeping the corp economy in check is often worth it, buying yourself two/two-and-a-half turn of corporation recuperating their economy from zealously paying for rezzing ice, will often be enough to put you ahead of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C
United States
Troy
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
sdiberar wrote:
karat wrote:
From everything I've read here, my last game was doomed from the start -- the corp got 4 free rezzed pieces of ice and several money makers right away, and my first run got my economy trashed.

The Corp did all this on the first turn? No? Then you had some opportunities to change the situation by running.

As for your economy getting trashed, if you ran on your last click (and couldn't avoid a tag) then you need to stop doing that.

Turn 1:
As Haas-Bioroid:
Biotic Labor (-$4)
Install Accelerated Beta Test (+$1 for being HB)
Advance
Advance
Advance {pointed out that this is 1 credit above what the Corp has}

Runner's Turn

shake

Add a Hedge Fund and another Biotic Labor to use it, and you can still pull off a first-turn Accelerated Beta Test with the dream hand of initial draws.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffis wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
sdiberar wrote:
karat wrote:
From everything I've read here, my last game was doomed from the start -- the corp got 4 free rezzed pieces of ice and several money makers right away, and my first run got my economy trashed.

The Corp did all this on the first turn? No? Then you had some opportunities to change the situation by running.

As for your economy getting trashed, if you ran on your last click (and couldn't avoid a tag) then you need to stop doing that.

Turn 1:
As Haas-Bioroid:
Biotic Labor (-$4)
Advance
Advance

Runner's Turn

shake

Add a Hedge Fund and another Biotic Labor to use it, and you can still pull off a first-turn Accelerated Beta Test with the dream hand of initial draws.

Hedge Fund is +$4
Biotic Labor is -$4

No gain of a credit, so that doesn't work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Kaffis wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
sdiberar wrote:
karat wrote:

Turn 1:
As Haas-Bioroid:
Biotic Labor (-$4)
Advance
Advance

Runner's Turn

shake

Hedge Fund is +$4
Biotic Labor is -$4

No gain of a credit, so that doesn't work.

Cheat?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C
United States
Troy
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bah, yeah, I wasn't thinking straight there. I was thinking Biotic Labor was 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread is the best! I [heart] it so much!

Seriously, now I feel I have a shot as a Runner!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fanjoy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Free running is great. Any time you can waltz right in to a server and rummage, you probably should be. If R&D is unprotected, you get to examine every card for agenda-ness before the corp even gets to see it. That can be huge. You also get to eliminate most traps cheaply before they can hurt you (Aggressive Secretary, Project Junebug, etc). HQ isn't quite as good to hit (you might see the same operation over and over, groan) but anything you trash from there is essentially costing the corp a draw.

Misdirection isn't solely the province of the the Corporation. Suppose the corp installs ICE on both R&D and HQ on the first turn. It's unlikely that they have enough credits to rez both, so run the one you care about less, first. Either they'll let you through (in which case, yay, free running!) or they'll spend a good chunk of their credits rezzing it, making it unlikely they'll be able to keep you out of your true target for at least a turn or two. If I'm Gabriel I'll feint at R&D so they'll hopefully leave HQ open; if I have Medium in hand, feint at HQ so they'll leave R&D open; if I have Sneakdoor Beta, start on HQ until they rez there, then move on to R&D until they rez that, then drop Sneakdoor and really give them headaches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyraeus Gryfalcon
msg tools
PlayroomEJS wrote:
karat wrote:
Nobody here has yet told me how often is often enough. I really have no idea what is reasonable. Please give me numbers.

Also, how many credits should I have to make a run? At what point should I bother to install my first icebreaker (and actually try to succeed at a run, which implies having money)? Is it ever worth bothering to run at a server with rezzed ice?

I am not exaggerating when I say that your first 2 actions of the game should often be runs - HQ and R&D. Any ice the Corp can afford to rez two of (one for HQ, one for R&D) on your first turn won't do enough to permanently hinder you, and you need to keep the pressure on their economy by forcing them to pay to rez them.

It's absolutely worth bothering to run at a server with rezzed ice, especially when that ice doesn't end the run. For example, if I have a decent link or a few credits, I'll happily run against a rezzed Ichi 1.0, especially when I have no icebreakers for it to trash - worst thing that happens is the trace, and that's defeatable.

If you wait to run until you have icebreakers, you'll lose. Forcing the Corp to rez ice, even if it ends the run, is often a net gain for you - it cost them X credits and just cost you the click for the run. Once you know what the ice you're up against on any particular server is, then you can start dropping the icebreakers you need and calculating exactly how many credits it'll take to break each piece. That's why exposing cards is so powerful, but if you don't have any exposers, just do it the old-fashioned way: run it.

This is not like Magic, where you can have two players who both turtle up until they feel comfortable with their positions and then start slugging away at each other. If both Corp and Runner just build up indefinitely, Corp will win every time.
I found that out in my first few games yesterday. . . I was playing corp and trying to get comfortable and it was just not working.

I cant wait to get my own cards so I can start gaining my experiences and using those moving forward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wray
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love seeing all the talk about 'bits' and 'forts'. For all those who don't know, that's lingo from the original Netrunner and gives you a clue on how long someone has been 'into' this game (20 years or more).

Huzzah to my fellow original Netrunner players who are still around and still going out of their way to share this great game with newer players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.