Alan How
United Kingdom
Bromley
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
Do you know about Counter magazine? Geekmail me for more details
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules do not state that you need to go to a destination before going to the dock. So this suggests that you can go to the dock without doing so.

However, the implications of requiring a destination to be played impacts the energy use required and possibly earlier choices about type of ship purchased and gear that you might buy.

Can someone confirm that a destination is not required in order to progress to the Dock from the Belt?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan How wrote:
The rules do not state that you need to go to a destination before going to the dock.

You answered your own question. If you're still not sure, read the second paragraph of Ending a Run. It explicitly states you don't need to go to a destination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Runkst wrote:
If you're still not sure, read the second paragraph of Ending a Run. It explicitly states you don't need to go to a destination.

I agree. Destinations are completely optional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Alan,

Destinations are more distant locations looking for (and offering a premium for) particular goods or services (think of the bonuses for an empty hold as mail runs, for instance). Each ship that doesn't deliver to one of the distant locations simply delivers the goods to dock, with no premium.

So some, all, or none of your ships might go to a destination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you feel that, for thematic reasons, every ship must have a destination, you could think about it this way (people who aren't questioning this should cover their eyes at this point):

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Every ship has a default destination that costs zero energy and awards zero credits. The cards allow you to go to more lucrative destinations at the cost of specified amounts of energy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Wright
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, you've got me thinking.

As a method of marking ships that have completed runs this business cycle (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/848171/marking-runs) I'm thinking of making some "default destination" 0 energy cost, 0 payoff destination cards so we can see when a ship has been run.

That kills 2 birds with one stone: Every ship must select a destination as its last run action in a belt. Ships can only do a run if they have not had a destination selected yet.

(Maybe something to think about for an expansion?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan How
United Kingdom
Bromley
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
Do you know about Counter magazine? Geekmail me for more details
mbmbmbmbmb
huber wrote:
Alan,

Destinations are more distant locations looking for (and offering a premium for) particular goods or services (think of the bonuses for an empty hold as mail runs, for instance). Each ship that doesn't deliver to one of the distant locations simply delivers the goods to dock, with no premium.

So some, all, or none of your ships might go to a destination.

Joe,

Thanks for the clarification. We had two theories when playing. One was as everybody has pointed out as the rules do not specifically force destinations.

Th other theory was linked to a design impact.
We thought that destinations were a pre-requisite to docking or else where were you docking? I know the rules did not spell it out this way and have read all the other comments, (thanks, by the way) but we thought that as a design issue requiring to end on a destination which had a cost would be required. This would influence your earlier choice of ship or decisions about gear.

Also the discarded destinations location is at the dock so we thought this added weight the theory of compulsory destinations.

I think Eric and Andy's practical solutions are helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
If you feel that, for thematic reasons, every ship must have a destination, you could think about it this way (people who aren't questioning this should cover their eyes at this point):

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Every ship has a default destination that costs zero energy and awards zero credits. The cards allow you to go to more lucrative destinations at the cost of specified amounts of energy.

In fact, if the game were to be re-printed, it might make sense to pre-print a destination costing zero energy and awarding a zero credit bonus right on the ship mat. If you go to a bonus destination, you would cover the pre-printed destination with the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StroppyGnome wrote:

As a method of marking ships that have completed runs this business cycle (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/848171/marking-runs) I'm thinking of making some "default destination" 0 energy cost, 0 payoff destination cards so we can see when a ship has been run.

Did anyone ever make any such cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
StroppyGnome wrote:

Did anyone ever make any such cards?

We certainly talked about how having them would make the game easier to explain. We didn't make any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.