Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Scheiderich
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My apologies if I missed this elsewhere...

On p7 of the rules the sidebar states (next to Accounting): "So, for example, if a player stacked a total of 10 Politics and 7 Wealth they would receive the lower of the two numbers (7)" (in coin)

Does this "choose the lower number" apply ONLY to Collect Taxes OR does it apply in the censuses? The same wording is used for the 3 censuses as the identical wording is used! The only difference being the characteristics used for each i.e. science and ideas and what you gain from it.

Worse the rule wording states "Reveal the stack allocated to your Taxes and Trade slot. For each one point of both politics and wealth allocated to Taxes and Trade the player collects one coin." Using the word "both" implies (to this dummy anyway) that you sum the two NOT take the lower or lesser of the them.

Something like, "In your stack you sum your wealth and your politics separately. You gain Coin equal to the lower value of the two." should have been used.

That one gets from "from each one point of BOTH politics and wealth the player collects one coin" to you use the lesser total? angry is pretty lame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That applies to the censuses as well as taxes...and yes you're right, it was not the best way of wording it. The way the rules are written, I can see it being interpreted either way...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Scheiderich
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This will also lengthen the game as you have to choose your stack far more cautiously - and lessens the impact of Enhancements - like the ones that double or triple your military... as they could easily exceed your politics. But then again I am not familiar with the cards as yet!

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could be wrong, but I think the intent of this is to prevent players from just "raiding" one specific deck for an advantage...shows the need for a somewhat more balanced player deck, at least as far as censuses/taxes go...

I don't think it affects the military near as much...you just add and compare military totals and coin; there's no lesser value involved here. It's only if you have a tie and go into Negotiation that Politics becomes involved...

Seems like Politics might be a somewhat more important faction as it's involved in Religious Censuses, Taxes, & Negotiation...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Scheiderich
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. I knew the Attacking was unaffected but funny how Politics gets into things...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Scheiderich
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be clear, the lowest total applies to all Censuses?

This includes Art and Science so in the latter case its the fewer of Idea points or Science points...that counts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LHIM wrote:
To be clear, the lowest total applies to all Censuses?

This includes Art and Science so in the latter case its the fewer of Idea points or Science points...that counts?

Correct...lowest total applies to all Censuses...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.