Subject: Previously Destroyed Slots rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Jackson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Consider a Breach Roll with a Slot Die indicating a previously destroyed slot, but with the Breach Roll result being less than the indicated slot Breach Number.

Can you still go ahead and reroll the Slot Die (assuming there are other slots in this Location with Breach Numbers equal to or less than the Breach Roll result ) ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Darling
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
"How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist..."
badge
Bacon pancakes, makin' bacon pancakes, Take some bacon and I'll put it in a pancake, Bacon pancakes, that's what it's gonna make, Bacon pancaaaaake!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you still reroll then compare the breach result to the 2nd slot result.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jackson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Why would you reroll the slot die? If your breach roll + slot die hits a slot that is greater than your breach roll, you miss (regardless of whether it is destroyed or not). A key reason for this is because if your breach roll is higher than a destroyed slot, you hit again and reroll the slot die to see if either an additional slot gets destroyed (now minus any armor) or if you get a "breaking the keel roll."

From what I understand, the only time a slot die is rerolled is if the guns are bracketed and you hit a miss slot or if you are rolling a second time for an already destroyed slot and get a miss (or some instances with saturation guns).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jackson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I like your argument Aaron, and indeed that is how I understood it originally. But what threw me off, was the following text in the example on page 35 of the Commander's Manual:

"The first roll struck a previously destroyed Slot, but the abysmal result of 8 means that regardless of any re-roll... [implying a slot re-roll is possible] ..., he's not going to do any additional damage."

But I guess it is just 'flavor' text...

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Brunet
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules p. 33 clearly indicate that "if a slot die indicates a previously destroyed slot", a "critical failure may occur", and you "immediately" re-roll the slot die. You only compare the breach roll to the breach number after the re-roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Price
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had read it as you did initially , but re-reading p33 I'd agree that any destroyed slot gets a re-roll regardless of breaching total.

I imagine it as the shot going in though the rend left by the destroyed slot, bypassing the armour and possibly hitting a less robust location .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the previous two posts. You do not need to beat the breech rating of a destroyed slot. Immediately roll the Slot Die again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.