Subject: New Overlord cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shawn Hubbard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I've been looking through the old Overlord cards from 1E and trying to apply them into 2E to increase the OL's options when upgrading. I came up with a few rough ideas, just looking for community thoughts. Feel free to playtest them if you like.

Magus:
I - Weakness: Event. Play when a hero attacks. That hero can only roll 1 blue die for that attack.
I - Siphon Pain: Magic. Play at the start of your turn and choose a monster. Roll 1 yellow die. Transfer one wound per heart rolled from monster to a hero within 3 spaces of that monster. All wounds must be transferred to the same hero.
II - Gust of Wind: Magic. Play at the start of a hero's turn. The hero's torch blows out and all line of sight can only be traced to adjacent spaces. The hero must test willpower. If the hero fails, he cannot take a move action. He may still spend stamina to move.
III - Dominant Mind: Magic. Play at the the start of your turn. You may move any or all figures and familiars up to two spaces. The moves must be legal moves. Figures that are immobilized may be moved.

Warlord:
I - Dark Power: Event. Play when you attack before you roll dice. Add 1 yellow die to the attack.
I - Sharpened Blades: Event. Play when you attack after dice a re rolled. You may add 1 wound or 2 pierce to the attack roll.
II - Cruel Tactics: Event. Play at the start of a hero's turn. Any or all monsters can activate. If a monster activates at this time, it cannot activate on your next turn.
III - Dark Harbinger: Magic. Play at the start of your turn and choose a monster. That monster is healed to full health and is upgraded to a master monster of the same type. Group limits do not have to be respected.

Saboteur:
I - Cursed Treasure: Trap. Play when a hero searches. The hero must test willpower. For each shield rolled above the attribute, the hero loses 1 stamina. If stamina lost exceeds remaining stamina, health is lost instead.
I - Infected Blood: Event. Play when a monster is defeated. All adjacent heroes test might. Each hero that fails suffers 1 wound and is Poisoned.
II - Greed: Trap. Play when a hero searches. Draw 1 Overlord card per hero. The hero does not draw a Search card. If the search token contains a Quest Item, the hero can still claim it as normal.
III - Ambush: Trap. Play when a hero searches. Select a 1 space master monster from the allowed types for the dungeon. This monster does not have to be in one of the selected open groups. Place the monster on or adjacent to the search token's space. A search card cannot be drawn until the monster is killed.

I've only done very light testing with them so far so all feedback is welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool.

After a quick scan my first thought is that Greed is very powerful: it denies a search card AND gives the Overlord a fat bunch of new cards. Probably too powerful for a III level too.

Dominant Mind is very cool and (I think) balanced. However it requires just a bit of book-keeping.

Anyway, I like the overall concept and implementation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Hubbard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I didn't have the Search denial at first. I haven't seen the draw cards as terribly powerful so thought of what else I could add to the mix. It could easily stand either way.

For Dominant Mind, what bookkeeping are you thinking of?

Thanks for the input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Triu Greykith
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that supposed to be "You may move any or all hero figures and familiars up to two spaces." or do you move the monsters too & then activate them as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Hubbard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Any figure. Hero, monster, NPC. It might be better to allow the figure to move half its Speed rounded down instead of a flat 2 for the larger monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking about the remembering which monsters the Overlord activated during the Dominant Mind resolution and which are yet to be activated.
It could probably be reduced if you consider monster groups instead of single monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Hubbard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I was thinking of doing groups, just seems to limit strategy. If I only wanted one quick attack from an errant monster, would I want to sacrifice my whole group's turn to get it? For people with 1E, there's a ton of tokens that could be used to track this. For everyone else, maybe a fatigue token on the figure base?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.