Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Multi-galaxy map rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey everybody just wanted to know some opinions and experience on the preset maps?pros and cons...for exp the nekro virus could be contained while the ghosts would rule the galaxy...i have only tried them once but i think they work okay and make trade contracts easier to hold...atlest if your trading partner is in the other galaxy and thereby make the game a little more aggressive...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I strongly, strongly prefer pre-set maps, I actually really hate random maps, and the random, RAW ("Rules-as-Written") random map-making process.
Great Race selection and the way your group decides on a map to play, to me are deeply intertwined issues. Our group uses pre-set maps, which we make together, and come to a consensus upon (Home System locations are assigned randomly, so it is in the interest of all players to ensure map balance) this process though is greatly affected by the way in which Great Races are assigned or chosen. We have a race assignment / selection process where Great Races are assigned before the day we will play, and most of the time folks get the Great Race they want to play, or at least a choice among three.

In summary, we almost always have 3 wormholes (all "A's"), and the Wormhole Nexus where Mallice the planet will have an artifact on it, in a 3-Ring Map, and we also frequently have 4 wormholes (2 "A's" and 2 "B's") for our 4-Ring maps. All the "juicy" prize planets / systems will be in the second ring and have to be bargained or fought over, and our wormholes are always set so that one side of the board can interact with; ie, fight with, the other side of the board easily.

We have played this way for quite some time now, and while I am willing to begrudgingly play with a RAW random map, they suck, and that way of playing sucks...balanced pre-set maps with random Home System location assignment is the only way to go IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Porter
United States
Bangor
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a couple of games with them. It's interesting, but everyone involved agreed that we focused on "our" little galaxy and ignored what was happening in the other. On the one hand it makes planning easier since you only have to deal with two opponents, but on the other hand it can make for a rude awakening when a player in the other galaxy scores a bunch of Victory Points. It's an interesting change of pace, but I doubt we'd make it a regular thing.

In regards to the Ghosts of Creuss - They were in the second game we played. There was some discussion about whether we wanted to allow them and we ultimately decided to leave them in the game. It was much more difficult for the Ghosts player to dominate all the wormholes than we first thought. If I remember correctly, the Ghosts were able to control the Wormhole Nexus but were unable to block other players from using some of the wormholes. The other players realized the consequences of the Ghosts controlling all the wormholes and made an effort to block them from monopolizing the wormholes.

I'd suggest giving it a try at least once. It is a fun variant that's different enough to be interesting once or twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
From what i have read about the ghosts their play style is a lot different from the normal pizza slice zones since they can(after getting the wormhole generator)jump to anywhere...kind of the same with the clan of saar in that they dont have to stay in only one part of the galaxy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like presets way better, and the Ghosts do not rule them in any way. I find the hosts are far to slow to rule much of anything.

we used this mukti galaxy for the WBC final and it worked well. Mind you that we had large neutral fleets on Key planets so it was not as open as it looks.

also not that you are not really much farther from the players in the other galaxy than you are from ones in your galaxy.

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cool mapno you are right about the distance and ind my opinion you dont interact that much with the guy across from you unless you meet him halfway...how long didt the game last?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.