rich n
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

This is a fun series where two games (sometimes similiar sometimes not) face off in a head to head match. With so many games in my closet I wonder, what should I keep?? I love my games and sometimes want to keep them all - so why should I - would you keep one of the above games?

Arkham Horror - tons of expansions, cool theme but TONS of rules.
Touch of Evil - light on rules, great on theme (plus you get a creepy music CD).

Who stays in the closet!??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will no body think of the figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Briggs
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Be liberated...keep them both and make room for the expansions...however it is time for your board games to come out of the closet, have a coming out day for them. When board games come out of the closet, video games go in...yeah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Querns
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say Touch of Evil. Don't you need about a week to play Arkham with all the extra bits?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rich n
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
javapuzzles wrote:
Be liberated...keep them both and make room for the expansions...however it is time for your board games to come out of the closet, have a coming out day for them. When board games come out of the closet, video games go in...yeah!

LOL - thumbs up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whichever one you like better?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Miller
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GQ__ wrote:
I would say Touch of Evil. Don't you need about a week to play Arkham with all the extra bits?

I would have to agree. I don't own either of them yet, I am looking to get Touch soon though. I've always wanted to play arkham, but that game looks soo long that if I were to buy it it would never get played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Miller
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A big vote for arkham, Yes, it can take a while to play, but it's a blast as well, and works great in a group or solo. Plus, once you play a few times, you get the rules down, so it goes a lot smoother after that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Wertz
United States
Souderton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mil05006 wrote:
A big vote for arkham, Yes, it can take a while to play, but it's a blast as well, and works great in a group or solo. Plus, once you play a few times, you get the rules down, so it goes a lot smoother after that!

100% agree. Arkham is the keeper here. People love to joke about the playing time, but it really isn't bad, at all. Even the setup times people claim are highly exaggerated. The game is incredible and, even with 4+ investigators I've never had a game exceed 3-3.5 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say keep Arkham Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both and have played both. Arkham is legendary. A Touch of Evil is...fine.

The gem of the Flying Frog library is Last Night on Earth (a terrific beer and pretzels game which is still wholly different than the experience of Arkham). Between the two you offered, though, there really isn't any competition IMHO. YMMV, though; to the extent that this is anything more than an academic exercise, it's your fun that counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Id say keep Arkham

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ragesteel wrote:
Hey all,

This is a fun series where two games (sometimes similiar sometimes not) face off in a head to head match. With so many games in my closet I wonder, what should I keep?? I love my games and sometimes want to keep them all - so why should I - would you keep one of the above games?

Touch of Evil - light on rules, great on theme (plus you get a creepy music CD).

2 thoughts:

1 use polls (the green tick icon)
2 if you wanted to find the "best" game in your collection you could use something like braceketgeek to compare your games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Culp
United States
Gillette
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham. ATOE really isn't arkham lite. It has more to do with talisman. Also Atoe doesn't run any shorter than arkham really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Scott
United States
California
flag msg tools
ragesteel wrote:
Hey all,

Although they scratch the same itch, I say keep both. Play AH when you want to play a big game and play TOE when you don't have all that much time to play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I previously owned both. I would have kept Touch but my group demanded Arkham. So unfortunately I ended up trading Touch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror. AToE is by far the weakest of Flying Frog's games. It has good theme, but the pacing and balance is horrible.

A real contest would be between Arkham Horror and Last Night on Earth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven riola

joliet
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham.

ATOE is alright, but it takes everything enjoyable out of Arkham and waters it down. I'd agree it's more like Talisman.

And Arkham would crush last night on earth. (IMO)

Last time I played Last Night On Earth I purposely died as quick as I could after the first player died to end the game. whistlebecause I was about to snore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror by a mile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Own Both , Keep Both,

Cant compare them equally since they each have a place in my collection for specific gaming wants.

You need to look at your own needs and likes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror fo sho

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.