Core Worlds» Forums » General

Subject: Queen Alais , do you think it's too powerful? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played my first game of Core Worlds today. I really liked it, although I believe the drafting setup it will make it even better. Minor initial gripe was that the Prestige cards were kinda lame, almost like an artifical addition to the game.

After the game one guy who had played the game 10 times before claimed that Queen Alais is an overpowered card in the game and he has always won the game by taking it. It didn't come up in our 4-player game this time but at least I would have hypothetically got a total of 7 points from it since I had five 0-point worlds.

It seems to me that it's about as good as Worldship, although it depends on the situation, mainly how you will use your energy in the final turns. The funny fact is that the player who won the game (and it wasn't the guy who told about his victories ) with 31 points didn't have either of those cards( I was 2nd with 29 and other the other two were 3rd with 23 points). I had Worldship in my hand in the final round but had to use my energy for units invading a core world and I couldn't place it in my warzone.

What do you think about those powerful IV-phase cards, especially Queen Alais and do you think they are really important for your victory?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the time, if you invest in one of the big IV investments, you're losing out on a core world during V. It's a cost-benefit thing. There are sometimes when Alais is worth it. There are other times, when you're trying to get multiple Core Worlds, where it's not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Taylor
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trenttsd wrote:
Most of the time, if you invest in one of the big IV investments, you're losing out on a core world during V. It's a cost-benefit thing. There are sometimes when Alais is worth it. There are other times, when you're trying to get multiple Core Worlds, where it's not.

This, one thousand times this. The sector 4 cards can be very good (Queen Alais and the Worldship come to mind immediately), but they're not game breaking. The players who don't get to go first in sector 5 need something to help keeps the victory points totals roughly equal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Queen Alais has two benefits: strong ground strength and extra points. But if you use her ground strength in the final turns, you risk not getting her out again before the game ends, thus losing you the points. Also consider that if you invest heavily in 0-VP worlds and she doesn't come up - or someone else drafts her first - you're screwed. A fun card? Yes. A powerful card? Often. A game-breaker? No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.