Subject: Keep this or Ravenloft? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I played Castle Ravenloft, liked it, and bought it, but wasn't sure if I wanted to get Wrath of Ashardalon. Well, I forgot that I pre-ordered it so I ended up with both.

Descent 2nd Edition is my go-to dungeon crawling game. I liked Castle Ravenloft for a shorter, simpler adventure when desired. I haven't played Ashardalon yet and am thinking about selling one of them.

1) Is there any reason to keep both if I only am rarely going to play one of them?
2) Which one would you recommend that I keep?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tjarks
United States
Crowley
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd keep both, mostly because you can use the character cards/monsters in either game. You don't have two separate games, you have expanded Ravenloft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both, and thinking of selling Ashardalon. I prefer Ravenloft, for the richer theme. However, I sort of want to hang onto the Ashardalon stuff to be a "Ravenloft Expansion", like the previous poster said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cost for components is impressive, I'd keep them both and experiment with intermingling the games.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So how does one combine them exactly? Is there any information to explain how? Combine the decks, the tiles, etc?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing solid out there, just a few threads on ideas. Basically it's very easy to combine monster and treasure decks just outright. The heroes are interchangable. The tiles don't really do anything so they can be merged. The cards that really shouldn't be merged are the Encounter cards.

If you add in the named tile cards variant it could make some interesting boards...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando Neto
Brazil
Rio das Ostras
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep both The 3 games

Descent is good but need DM. I love D&D adventure system for this reason, a DMless game that is aweseome. The game has enough components for making custom adventures and ashardalon has a lot to offer with chambers and gold!
You can make whenever adventures you want with all that stuff. Many pieces included in game actually aren't used at official scenarios. . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.