Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Willner
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless I'm mis-reading the rules (entirely possible) it looks like you can try a re-alignment roll in any area, even if you have no influence there and are not adjacent.

This seems like a no-risk proposition for the attacker, since they have nothing to lose if they fail the roll ... and big gains if they knock the opponent down below the Stability number and remove control.

Am I missing something or is this the way the rule works?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
The opponent still gets +1 to his die roll. You might get lucky, but unless you're way behind and need to take risks, there are probably better ways to spend the ops.

And it's completely pointless if you knock your opponent down, and he's adjacent anyway, since he can immediately fill the region up again (and it's no-risk for him).

If he's isolated, maybe. Common places of isolation are Chile, Nigeria, Cuba, Venezuela. But a good player will quickly identify isolated places and place into their neighbors to avoid being kicked out without a way back in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll also add: you often have a lot to lose. Namely, the OPs.

If the modifier is even and certainly if it's against you, then you're pushing uphill and your opponent is probably thanking you for taking the chance. The situation described by the OP is a -1 roll. Those are terrible odds of making headway. You do your opponent a favor by wasting valuable OPs on a long-shot roll, espeically if they can simply repair the damage from an adjacent country. It's likely that they will spend less OPs undoing the damage than you spent inflicting it. It's also likely that your rolls will not even require them to respond - effectively you just pass and give them two turns in a row.

If the odds are +1 in your favor, then the risk-reward balance is in your favor, but not overwhelmingly so. Only at +2 does it become a no-brainer (or as much as anything can really be one in TS).

Lastly, realignments are restricted by DEFCON just as coups are, so they are mostly used in Africa and the Americas. Wasn't clear to me if the OP had missed that or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Willner
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I felt out of joint when several 'no-risk' realignments dropped me below the control level, I didn't have adequate Ops to recoup, and the subsequent Scoring Card reaped many more points than it would have if the realignments weren't done.

But, I'm a total newbie and probably should play a couple dozen more games before coming to any conclusions.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ioan Mitiu
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's true that realignments are ( or could be ) the most OP cost-effective way to remove enemy influence from a country - at least latter in the game, when the board started to be fully/mostl controlled. For that reason a competent player should figure a strategy to mitigate the risk of a bad dice-roll ... especially in regions where realignments are possible no matter of DEFCON level ( Africa & both Americas ). Of course ... luck factor will still exists and almost always will be possible to exists suprise-removal but ... you get the ideea.

BTW - this is one of the reason for which Iran-Contra Scandal* could be a really excellent event - and one of the best Soviet headline choice in Late War ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.