Popular Tags: [View All]
jes m
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played an interesting game of Dominion. It's silly, but a fun variant.

For setup, we replaced the three starting Estates with three copies of the Dominion: Black Market Promo Card.

We kept all the base cards, including Potions.

But, for the big twist, we didn't lay out any Kingdom cards. Instead, we put one of each in the Black Market deck.

Every player was at the whim of the Black Market, and no two decks were anywhere near alike. There was no strategy you could rely on.

I'm sure some people will be in an uproar about how we destroyed the integrity of the game, but come on. You know you want to try it. :-)

We have some friends who wanted to give it a try, but didn't have the promo card so they just substituted a random one.

I will say it was only possible since we have every Dominion expansion so the Market didn't run out. And we did this before Dark Ages. Plus, there were some issues with cards that rely on other cards. Those were just bad luck for the person who drew them.

Anyway, it was fun. Thought I'd share.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Not exactly the same but related:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/575106/super-dominion-va...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
Only problem I see is an early Saboteur could eliminate someone's ability to buy any action cards. Small chance, but it is a design problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Troughton
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a terrible idea by any means, and could be fun as something different every once in awhile, but personally, if I want to play a deck builder with random card availability I'll just play Star Trek DBG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds very similar to Ascension.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually played a couple randomly available options things before, 1 on 1. The biggest issue was figuring out what would replace the 3 stack ending. Sometimes getting all provinces emptied will take too long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben MacFarlane
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo42 wrote:
I actually played a couple randomly available options things before, 1 on 1. The biggest issue was figuring out what would replace the 3 stack ending. Sometimes getting all provinces emptied will take too long.

Maybe you could use the Black Market deck running out as an ending? It would still likely take quite a while if you used kingdom card type, though. Maybe any two other basic piles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno
United States
Farmingdale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No need for black market, if you want a different take to Dominion, try this really wacky variant ...

1) Don't setup the 10 kingdom piles
2) Just deal 5 starting cards to each player
3) Each player will draw cards from a common draw deck.
4) Discarded/trashed cards go to a common discard pile.
5) Players play their hands as usual.
6) In your buy phase, use any money/treasure cards to buy "cards" from the common draw deck, as follows:
* draw as many cards as money you have plus one
* keep as many as your total number of buys plus one minus curses drawn.
7) Discard down to 5 from the combined set of cards in play, in your hand and just "bought".
8) Any victory cards boughts are set aside.
9) The first player to reach a pre-agreed total of VPs, wins the game.

Disclaimer: this variant is not a serious attempt to offer an interesting and/or worthwhile gaming experience based on Dominion. No meeples were hurt during the writing of this non-sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
teg2 wrote:
No need for black market, if you want a different take to Dominion, try this really wacky variant ...

1) Don't setup the 10 kingdom piles
2) Just deal 5 starting cards to each player
3) Each player will draw cards from a common draw deck.
4) Discarded/trashed cards go to a common discard pile.
5) Players play their hands as usual.
6) In your buy phase, use any money/treasure cards to buy "cards" from the common draw deck, as follows:
* draw as many cards as money you have plus one
* keep as many as your total number of buys plus one minus curses drawn.
7) Discard down to 5 from the combined set of cards in play, in your hand and just "bought".
8) Any victory cards boughts are set aside.
9) The first player to reach a pre-agreed total of VPs, wins the game.

Disclaimer: this variant is not a serious attempt to offer an interesting and/or worthwhile gaming experience based on Dominion. No meeples were hurt during the writing of this non-sense.

haha. no. I'll not be trying this. :P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Lar
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
We have played a variant using Platinum, Colony and all the Randomizer cards, no matter which sets did or did not have a card in the 10 Kingdom sets selected randomly. The Randomizers are set face down in a stack with only the top card face up.

Next you need a set of 10 blank cards as your 11th Kingdom pile, face up. The top Randomizer card is what the blank stack represents, and you pay it's price to own it. It only changes when someone buys a Colony or Province. At that point the top card is removed and the next card is turned face up. The blank cards purchased become the turned up card no matter what it changes into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.