Subject: Software or templates for Swiss tournaments? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy York
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just wondering what people's experience has been with using software or Excel templates to manage a Swiss tournament (which is the official format for Android Netrunner tournaments).

Are there any tools you've used that are good enough that you'd never try to run a tournament with pen and paper again? I haven't done one in ages, but managed ok with a notepad and index cards back in the day.

Also, are there good tools that allow you to enter the points each round, or are some of them so MtG or Chess centered that they only allow the scoring from those games? What I mean is that MtG gives 3 points to the winner, or 1 to each in the case of a draw; chess gives 1 point to the winner, or 1/2 to each for a draw. Meanwhile the Netrunner pairings and final rankings are based on the Prestige points, which vary from 0 to 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Smith
England
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't dream of running a largish tournament on paper. It's just a pain in the neck to keep all the information to hand. Then again, largish here is probably 30+ people--anything less than that you can do the tiebreaks relatively quickly at the end.

That said, I haven't built anything to run netrunner with yet, so I can't share that with you. I run MtG tournaments on a regular basis, and WER, the official program for running those, is pretty good but completely unable to deal with non-WotC games. I'll have to assemble something for Netrunner when the time comes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Moore
United States
Elmhurst
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We use http://challonge.com/ for our tournaments in our game club.

It's got lots of options, and does the seeding for you.

tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic schmidt
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
http://run4games.com/android-netrunner-logiciel-de-tournois-...

here is an excel spread sheet to run our Netrunner event .

Thanks to Psykowolf of R4G forum to have created this .

On the first sheet, you have to indicates the numbers of players then their name.

Then you click on "génération table 1" to launch the round 1

then enter the results for each match on the second sheet of the round 1. (be careful the sheet automatically enter 1 of prestige point even if a sub match has not been played , in that cas you have to correct to have 0 .

Then you click "scores" to generate the ranking after the round 1

and you click "génération tables nouvelles rondes" to launch the round 2 and so forth .

you maybe will have a pb after the round 3 or 4 the app will tell you a message indicating that he can't continue the paring, in that cas you have to go to "adversaires" sheet and make a manual pairing for the last table .

Hope it will help, and if we find time we'll try to make it in english .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Windmilling wrote:

tim

Thanks for the link, it looks pretty interesting. I might use it for other games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy York
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Windmilling wrote:

tim

Edit - for reference, here are the official tournament rules :
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/android-netrun...

Challonge looks like it can work, I set up a practice swiss tournament with these settings :
2 per match win
1 per match tie
2 per game win
1 per game tie
?? per bye (the FFG official rules say nothing about byes, I'd imagine it should be 6)
For the scores of each game, put in the match points (agenda points + 3 if winner)

It seems to do everything right for the easy cases, and I think some of the edge cases work too. For example I tried only one game finished, second not started (4 prestige for winner / 0 prestige for loser).

About the only bad thing I can see is that you can't actually record the match points for many unfinished games, instead you will put the second game as a 0-0 tie in most cases, see below.

I haven't tried the no-games-finished case yet, it could be a problem. The person with the most agenda points gets the match win and a game tie, while the other player gets a game tie. So the prestige is 3 to 1, and I'm not sure how to record things to get that outcome.

The typical unfinished game scenario will be one player wins the first game, and the agendas scored in the unfinished game aren't enough to tip the match points. The prestige should be 5 for the victor (2 for game win, 1 for game tie, 2 for match win) vs 1 for the loser (1 for game tie), which I think will come out perfectly if you just record the last game as a 0-0 tie.

There is also the less likely scenario where the unfinished second game tips the match win :
First game finished, say agenda was P1 : 7 vs P2 : 5.
First game match points are P1 : 10 vs P2 : 5

Second game, agenda points are P1 : 0 vs P2 : 6
In the case of an unfinished game, there is no bonus for victor, and so the second game match points are also P1 : 0 vs P2 : 6
And so, although the game wins look like P2 has a loss and a tie, P2 has won the match :

Total match points : P1 : 10 vs P2 11
Prestige :
P1 has 2 (game win) + 1 (game tie) = 3
P2 has 1 (game tie) + 2 (match win = 3

So I think in a case like this you'd have to record the second game as a win for P2 to get the scoring to come out right for the prestige points. And so, just putting the actual match points in for the second game will have it thinking that P2 won the second game, which gets you to the right prestige for the wrong reasons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic schmidt
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
for a bye, a player should get only 3 not 6 .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuno Afonso
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wormhole surfer wrote:
http://run4games.com/android-netrunner-logiciel-de-tournois-...

here is an excel spread sheet to run our Netrunner event .

Thanks to Psykowolf of R4G forum to have created this .

On the first sheet, you have to indicates the numbers of players then their name.

Then you click on "génération table 1" to launch the round 1

then enter the results for each match on the second sheet of the round 1. (be careful the sheet automatically enter 1 of prestige point even if a sub match has not been played , in that cas you have to correct to have 0 .

Then you click "scores" to generate the ranking after the round 1

and you click "génération tables nouvelles rondes" to launch the round 2 and so forth .

you maybe will have a pb after the round 3 or 4 the app will tell you a message indicating that he can't continue the paring, in that cas you have to go to "adversaires" sheet and make a manual pairing for the last table .

Hope it will help, and if we find time we'll try to make it in english .

This looks freaking awesome but my French is not that hot. Even with Google Translate, I don't think it understands the context of some of the terms, especially when it comes to the abbreviations or acronyms. Would it be too difficult to convert it to English?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike G
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've translated the French spreadsheet from run4games into English (not the Visual Basic code, just the labelling and stuff).

However, I'm not comfortable distributing it until I've gotten the authorisation of the original author from run4games. Ludovic: Are you able to get me in contact with Psykowolf?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Streicher
msg tools
mbmb
I have used challonge for other tournaments and it is amazing but i havent tried it for netrunner yet so i am not sure if it does everything FFG suggests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.