For the last Sleeving Club journal entry, I purchased 2 packs of the 80mm x 120mm Mayday Games sleeves to sleeve and trim-to-fit plastic sleeves for Jungle Speed. I also sleeved Jungle Speed: Rabbids which I bought after the standard game.
What does this have to do with DiceAFARI? Well, after sleeving both JS sets, what am I going to do with the leftover 80mm x 120mm sleeves? Read on to find out!
Card Physical Characteristics and In-game Use
I've sleeved 2 item types in this game: Map Cards and Safari Tiles
These 12 cards (close to the 80mm square JS cards, perhaps of slightly thinner stock, and very slightly smaller) are only shuffled at the beginning of the game and one is chosen to as a pattern of Safari Tiles. After map selection, the cards are not needed. Pretty low in importance to sleeve, but if you have the sleeves already, why not?
There are also 2 blank cards for creating custom maps.
These are shuffled pre-game, then a map is created out of these. The first thing that comes to mind to me are the tiles from Kachina - based on the "skin" of the tiles, I have this odd feeling that through repeated plays, the photo skin may peel off. I'm not so worried about the map tiles, since there's no hidden information related to them in-game.
I am, however, more worried about the tokens, which look to be of the same material. I won't need to counter clip them like wargames as they are already nicely die cut. But they do get shuffled (I do this from a bag), and there is a variant in which the counters are placed faced down. Not sure when I'll play the variant, but I wouldn't want to have a marked counter in that case.
For the Map Cards, I used the left over 80mm x 120mm Mayday sleeves from my previous sleeving session. The Map Cards are square and slightly smaller than the Jungle Speed cards I previously sleeved, leaving a little bit more side plastic. I made up for this by trimming the top such that the excess looks uniform on the sides and top. Chop shuffles nicely as a result.
For the Safari Tiles, I had to choose between Mayday's 59mm x 92mm standard Euro-Sized Sleeves or the standard penny sleeves from Ultra Pro at 2 5/8" x 3 5/8".
The Ultra Pros were just a bit too big and that result would have looked really sloppy, especially during game play (more about that in a bit).
The Maydays fit a bit better but due to the thickness of the tiles and the inconsistency in the sleeve manufacture, I had to toss out 2 sleeves due to damage on the sleeves trying to cram the tiles in. But I did eventually find 18 sleeves that did work for me.
In this game, the tiles are arranged to a shape that matches the selected Map Card. The tiles can be placed adjacent to each other on any side. Between adjacent cards the counters are placed - it's due to this that it's important that when sleeving the tiles that there's as little excess plastic as possible on all sides.
This is what makes the Mayday sleeve a good choice in this case - on the 3 closed sides it's such a tight fit that it's almost "like wearing nothing at all" and there's no worry of the tile sliding out. The only thing that's needed to finish this off is a good pair of scissors and a steady hand to help you cut the top excess as close to the tile as possible. The result makes it easy for me to loosely chop shuffle the 18 tiles.
- Last edited Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:43 am (Total Number of Edits: 1)
- Posted Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:43 am