Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Various Rules Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fractal Energy
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If a monster is Snared with Forest Snare does it still get dealt a Shadow card every turn? Same with Feint or similar things that prevent cards from attacking.

If Thalin's ability (1 damage to mob as revealed) kills a bat with surge "as it is revealed," does the surge still happen?

There are a million other little questions we encounter as we play which I can never remember to bring up. This game has too many nitpicky rules. A lot of the time things happen simultaneously or there isn't an explicit definition for a particular term which muddies interpretations.

Still, my most played game. So they must have done something right.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Greenley
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Greetings Commander
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sstrunks5555 wrote:
If a monster is Snared with Forest Snare does it still get dealt a Shadow card every turn? Same with Feint or similar things that prevent cards from attacking.

Yes. Dealing shadow cards happens at the very beginning of the Combat phase, before there's an opportunity for an attack to get canceled. The shadow cards are just discarded with no effect.

sstrunks5555 wrote:
If Thalin's ability (1 damage to mob as revealed) kills a bat with surge "as it is revealed," does the surge still happen?

No, the surge does not happen. I believe this was outlined in the official FAQ. You can double-check there if you want.

sstrunks5555 wrote:
There are a million other little questions we encounter as we play which I can never remember to bring up. This game has too many nitpicky rules. A lot of the time things happen simultaneously or there isn't an explicit definition for a particular term which muddies interpretations.


The official FAQ does help with some of those timing questions. Do a Google search for 'LOTR LCG FAQ' and you should get a link to the one off of FFGs site.
sstrunks5555 wrote:
Still, my most played game. So they must have done something right.


I completely agree. ;^)
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fractal Energy
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick response!

Another question: Can you do player actions between resolving attacks from enemies and choosing attackers? For example, can Boromir ready after he defends in order to attack?

Does "Attacking alone" for Dunhere mean he is the only one attacking a certain mob, or does it mean that he alone is attacking from all your heroes to any mob?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Roberts
United Kingdom
Southport
Merseyside
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sstrunks5555 wrote:
Can you do player actions between resolving attacks from enemies and choosing attackers? For example, can Boromir ready after he defends in order to attack?


I don't think so from looking at the turn sequence on p31 of the rulebook.
Player actions are immediately after dealing shadow cards, and the next is after all defending and attacking are finished.

Quote:
Does "Attacking alone" for Dunhere mean he is the only one attacking a certain mob, or does it mean that he alone is attacking from all your heroes to any mob?


The first case is the right one. Other enemies can be engaged by other characters, but Dunhere must attack one enemy alone for the effect.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
NezRobbo wrote:
sstrunks5555 wrote:
Can you do player actions between resolving attacks from enemies and choosing attackers? For example, can Boromir ready after he defends in order to attack?


I don't think so from looking at the turn sequence on p31 of the rulebook.
Player actions are immediately after dealing shadow cards, and the next is after all defending and attacking are finished.


Nez is incorrect. All of the steps in the combat phase after dealing shadow cards are green. You may take actions anytime here.

Just remember there are no "interrupts." For example, if an enemy deals enough damage to kill a character, you cannot take an Action to heal that damage before the character dies.

So to answer Fractal's question, Boromir can defend against every enemy and then attack every enemy that he is engaged with - as long as you raise your threat every time you ready him during the combat phase.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sstrunks5555 wrote:
Another question: Can you do player actions between resolving attacks from enemies and choosing attackers? For example, can Boromir ready after he defends in order to attack?

Yes. Any green line on that chart at the end of the rules is defined as:

Quote:
Green – Any player can take actions generally, or
between the game steps stated in the rules.


It is not just the lines that say "Player actions."

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kramar
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
NezRobbo wrote:
sstrunks5555 wrote:
Can you do player actions between resolving attacks from enemies and choosing attackers? For example, can Boromir ready after he defends in order to attack?


I don't think so from looking at the turn sequence on p31 of the rulebook.
Player actions are immediately after dealing shadow cards, and the next is after all defending and attacking are finished.


I disagree. There is a player action phase at the end of each of the 4 steps used to resolve each enemy's attack (see p18 of the rule book). In fact, Boromir could defend against one attack, ready, defend against another attack, ready again and then perform an attack ( assuming you have some way to ready him twice of course).

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Brennan
Australia
St Ives, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1000+ rules questions has led to this sequence, confirmed via many Q&A with the designers, as to what the rule book is really trying to say (it's an extract from my player aid in the files section):

6.0 Begin Phase – Resolve “Beginning of Combat Phase” effects.
6.1 Deal Shadow Cards: Each player in turn order deals 1 Shadow card face down to each engaged enemy (by engagement cost, high to low).
ACTIONS
6.2 Resolve Defense: Each player in turn order resolves the following for each enemy engaged with him.
6.2.1 Choose an engaged enemy. Resolve when […] attacks effects.
ACTIONS
6.2.2 Declare 1 defender or leave attack undefended.
ACTIONS
6.2.3 Reveal Shadow card. Response. Resolve Shadow effect.
ACTIONS
6.2.4 It’s now Undefended if the defender’s Out Of Play.
Undefended: Deal Damage = Attack Strength (AS) : apply to 1 Hero of player that this enemy is (now) engaged with OR
Defended: Deal Damage = AS – Defense : apply to 1 defender only
Resolve “damage dealt” effects.
Resolve “cancel damage” effects.
Resolve damage (& effects).
Resolve “after attack” effects.
ACTIONS
Defenders are no longer defenders.
6.3 Resolve Attacks: Each player in turn order may do following multiple times.
6.3.1 Choose an enemy you haven’t attacked this turn.
(Ranged may do anybody’s engaged enemy, else must be your own.)
Declare 1 or more attackers.
ACTIONS
6.3.2 Determine Attack Strength (AS).
ACTIONS
6.3.3 Deal damage = revised AS (after actions) – enemy’s defense.
Resolve “after attack” effects.
ACTIONS
6.4 End Phase – Discard remaining Shadow cards. Resolve after combat effects.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.