Subject: Player Interaction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
X Shrike
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How much player interaction and to what degree is there? The Dice Tower review and from what I have read, there doesn't seem to be much. The most it appears to have is getting a deal before someone else.

The combat rules appear to be a drag on the game. So, I don't know if that is a reliable option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The main player interaction (at least in the original game) comes from the fight for finding cultures, establishing better trade routes, getting to demands more quickly, and loading up on scarce resources. Players can trade with each other if they end in the same space, I just never see it happen. However, it is definitely not multiplayer solitaire, if that's your concern.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Summerer
United States
Hamden
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Check out my audiobooks!
badge
Will talk for food!
mbmbmbmbmb
The new FFG edition also includes some Encounter cards that allow you to mess with other players, usually taking some sort of infamy hit for doing so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is exactly as you describe. It is strictly about finding the best routes, taking advantage of demand, and being as efficient as possible. It is an economic race. Interaction is virtually non-existant.

I will say that I have never felt it was truly "solitaire". I am always interested in what the other players are doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
The game is exactly as you describe. It is strictly about finding the best routes, taking advantage of demand, and being as efficient as possible. It is an economic race. Interaction is virtually non-existant.

I will say that I have never felt it was truly "solitaire". I am always interested in what the other players are doing.

Yeah, its not direct interaction, and a lot of indirect interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Shrike
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anything be done when a player setups a space station above a city? It seems like if someone was a cut-throat merchant, they would take it over or destroy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hatfield
United States
Helena
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you've got some of the expansions available (not from FFG) you have the option of Mercenaries, takeovers of stations, and swindling. There's also an option in the original game (Avalon Hill) for Forts, which have an impact on other players, but only if they go in the direction of where your fort is.

I wouldn't say there is NO interaction, but there is certainly reduced interaction depending on the number of players. With only two or three players, you can go the whole game and never even cross another player's flight path. If you're playing a 4-6 player game (again, Avalon Hill) you have the chance for greater interaction: tussles with trade routes, using other's space stations or picking up factory goods that others own the deeds to, using forts, OR (if the idea suits you)arming your ship and gunning for others -- basically piracy.

So it's not heavy interaction, but it's not quite the feeling of "multi-player solitaire" like you get from a game like Race for the Galaxy. You can have an impact on another player, just not necessarily a big one in Merchant of Venus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.