Wiz-War (eighth edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Pass through wall rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maurício Silva
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
Pass through wall is a neutral card that says "Move through target wall once, ignoring any effects of the wall.".

When a wizard moves through a wall, does he spend 1 movement point or not? My interpretation is that he doesn't, because the move is an effect of the card, but this matter caused some discussion on my table.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Chapman
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've always played that you do spend a movement point - the card just allows you to spend that point through a wall.

Your interpretation sounds arguable though, we just never thought of it! Hmmm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Littlefield
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been playing it like Jowolf. I never even considered not having to spend movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD GMD
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
I have never spent movement point in it, the spell state you move through wall so the movement could be a effect of the spell, However others like windrider state that the movement is without spend any MP but other like teleport doesn´t.

I´d say that you haven´t to spend MP but i can´t be sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zomber
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The spell allows you to ignore one wall while moving. You still need to be able to move to get the benefit from it. Doing it any other way is misinterpreting the intent of the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurício Silva
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
btblack wrote:
The spell allows you to ignore one wall while moving. You still need to be able to move to get the benefit from it. Doing it any other way is misinterpreting the intent of the card.

How can you be so sure that is the intent of the card? Teleport also is a spell that allows a wizard to pass through many walls without spending a single movement point.

When the card just say "MOVE through target wall", it's imperative. So as written, the wizard just moves through the wall by the spell. It's not his move action.

If the intent of the card was to spend movement points, the card could be clearer. Like this: "You may move through target wall, ignoring any effects." In this case, the wizard may move, or not. It's not imperative, it's an option of the wizard to move (by spending 1 move point).

But of course, I could be wrong and in this case, the card should be clearer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zomber
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mauricio MdS wrote:
If the intent of the card was to spend movement points, the card could be clearer. Like this: "You may move through target wall, ignoring any effects."

Better yet, "You may pass through one wall as you move, ignoring any effects."

Mauricio MdS wrote:
... the card should be clearer.

Agreed. FF really whiffed on this one. If read literally, it seems as though the card causes the movement. So I can understand those who may think that way. But if the history of the game holds any weight, 'Pass Through Wall' has always only allowed the passage, it has never caused the passage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.