Recommend
137 
 Thumb up
 Hide
39 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Bragging about amazing Birthday Present from my Girlfriend rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Klein
Germany
Würselen
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
www.spielerleben.de
badge
www.spielerleben.de
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules
Belgium
flag msg tools
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
badge
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, very cool!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clemens kremer
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hats off ! Pretty cool gift...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old Gamer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice! The artwork is lovely, and the fact that it's of you two is great.

I think if you define, carefully, what it means to 'double the value of your hand', it could be reasonably balanced. e.g. it only applies to non-treasure cards and does not stack (you can only double each card once).

That is an awesome present with a cute name.

PS: Is there a full set of them? As in, can you use it as one of the kingdom stacks?

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right to brag, what an astounding gift! The image of the two of you looks gorgeous!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rue Sailmana
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
The Hedgehog Can Never be Buggered at All
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! That is a great gift for sure!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ole Enes Ebbesen
Norway
Bergen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That is truly awesome!
Just to think it is cool, but to actually go through with it is just the greatest.

To honour this great gift we should all discuss how to balance the card.

Would it make sense that f.ex. all silvers in play would double?
That could make for some interesting combos.

Oh, and happy birthday to you, Martin!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Klein
Germany
Würselen
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
www.spielerleben.de
badge
www.spielerleben.de
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
old_gamer wrote:
Very nice! The artwork is lovely, and the fact that it's of you two is great.

I think if you define, carefully, what it means to 'double the value of your hand', it could be reasonably balanced. e.g. it only applies to non-treasure cards and does not stack (you can only double each card once).

That is an awesome present with a cute name.

PS: Is there a full set of them? As in, can you use it as one of the kingdom stacks?



Yeah, my first idea to "balance" it was similar, with one slight difference: It only applies to treasure cards and does not stack. How would such a card have to be worded? Your idea is neat as well though. I think we'll try this card this evening to see what might work.

Oh, and yes, these are meant to be one of the 10 kingdom stacks. In fact I have 32 copies of the card, because Annika used a service that lets you print custom traditional card decks. Sadly, the print did not work that good, as the card backs have allmost no black border left. I think for now I'll just put the cards with some left over cards together in a sleeve, but for the long run we might try to print them out again
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Klein
Germany
Würselen
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
www.spielerleben.de
badge
www.spielerleben.de
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just realized that it did not give any translation of the card text. Ups.

+ 2 Cards
+ 1 Action

While this is in play, the money-value of your hand cards is doubled.

So the card is a Laboratory with a huge extra bonus.
The question of course is what "money-value" and what "doubled" means in this context.

Money-Value:
My first thought was of the money value that treasure cards provide (Copper = 1, Gold = 3). However, what about treasure cards that don't have a constant money-value like Bank?

Doubled:
If this would stack, the card would be really overpowered in many a deck. So it just shouldn't stack...
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That's amazing! What a great gift.

I'd be happy if my partner would agree to just play Dominion, birthday or not...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mate, that is a pretty awesome. Congrats on a brilliant birthday gift and obviously a pretty special lady A full poster sized print to frame and mount on the wall would make a hilarious and cool talking point too!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old Gamer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zwecklos wrote:
old_gamer wrote:
Very nice! The artwork is lovely, and the fact that it's of you two is great.

I think if you define, carefully, what it means to 'double the value of your hand', it could be reasonably balanced. e.g. it only applies to non-treasure cards and does not stack (you can only double each card once).

That is an awesome present with a cute name.

PS: Is there a full set of them? As in, can you use it as one of the kingdom stacks?



Yeah, my first idea to "balance" it was similar, with one slight difference: It only applies to treasure cards and does not stack. How would such a card have to be worded? Your idea is neat as well though. I think we'll try this card this evening to see what might work.

Oh, and yes, these are meant to be one of the 10 kingdom stacks. In fact I have 32 copies of the card, because Annika used a service that lets you print custom traditional card decks. Sadly, the print did not work that good, as the card backs have allmost no black border left. I think for now I'll just put the cards with some left over cards together in a sleeve, but for the long run we might try to print them out again :)


I was thinking:

"While Royal couple is in play all action cards grant double their usual number of coins." Obviously replacing 'action' with 'treasure' if appropriate. (though I think it's probably still OP just working on treasure)

It's not Dominion style, and it's not as watertight as Dominion text usually is, but it might be a starting point.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Thron
United States
Caldwell
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Easily ranks among the greatest geek-gifts I've read about on this site. That is a truly special gift from a truly special woman. Fantastic.

I'll wish you a belated happy birthday, knowing that it already was spectacular.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
If doubling is too powerful, how about just +1 (or +2).

While Royal Couple is in play, every time a card provides money, it provides 1 [or should it be 2?] extra.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I play with electricity! Insomniaman
United States
Ocala
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What a awesome gift!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice. Reminds me of the story of Richard Garfield's Magic card proposal.

If you don't propose to her at once, I will.

You are one lucky fellow.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Klein
Germany
Würselen
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
www.spielerleben.de
badge
www.spielerleben.de
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Btw: I usually don't really care about my birthday. We were on vacation last week in the Netherlands and spent most of Saturday (my birthday) on several trains from Middelburg to Cologne. With several delays, the trip took us about 8 1/2 hours, and I was pretty exhausted when we got home around 7 pm. Then Annika gives me her awesome present, which immediately woke me up and made me just excited and gigglidy ever since.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Klein
Germany
Würselen
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
www.spielerleben.de
badge
www.spielerleben.de
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Springheeledjack wrote:
Very nice. Reminds me of the story of Richard Garfield's Magic card proposal.

If you don't propose to her at once, I will.

You are one lucky fellow.


Jup. In fact I showed Annika the video of the Ascension-proposal at some point when I introduced her to BGG and tried to show her how geeky some of us really are. The idea must have stuck in her head.

Well, we're a couple for just half a year now, so it's still quite early to think about something like a proposal
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Klein
Germany
Würselen
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
www.spielerleben.de
badge
www.spielerleben.de
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and here's the foto that Julien used as source material:



The shot was taken during our first vacation to the Netherlands in April this year.
21 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Low
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your girlfriend has set the gift bar a little too high. It will be difficult for her to top this one for future birthdays.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old Gamer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zwecklos wrote:
Well, we're a couple for just half a year now, so it's still quite early to think about something like a proposal


I had only been dating my girlfriend for around 6 months when I proposed.

We've been happily married for 5 years now
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A wonderful story.. thanks for sharing Martin. The card looks really good and I hope the two of you will be very happy together.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hamtastic wrote:
I think your girlfriend has set the gift bar a little too high. It will be difficult for her to top this one for future birthdays.


Just think what he has to counter offer with.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Klein
Germany
Würselen
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
www.spielerleben.de
badge
www.spielerleben.de
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
hamtastic wrote:
I think your girlfriend has set the gift bar a little too high. It will be difficult for her to top this one for future birthdays.


Just think what he has to counter offer with.



Giving birthday presents is not a contest


... or is that one of those things your partner says without really meaning it? .... robot

Haha
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.