Subject: Keeper Action turn rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimmy Christensen
Denmark
Århus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When a Keeper is in for example his monster attack step (step 4) and has done what he has to do. But suddenly realizes he wants to move a monster one space from one of the cards he uses in keeper action step (step 3). Is it allowed to go a step back, or do you have to follow the steps strictly?

The same goes if the Investigators realize they want to trade items, while the keeper is in lets say step 3, or anything else for that matter, is all that allowed?.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek W
Poland
flag msg tools
Commutator
badge
.Komutator
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules strictly forbid such actions.
But.
The game is meant to be played for fun. And players decide how they want to spend time. If that's okay with everybody you can bend the rules and even make you own. It's your game.
Or you can state before the game that there is no turning back time, and everyone should carefully watch what they are doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Christensen
Denmark
Århus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh it says in the rulebook? - I looked for it and obviously couldn't find it

- Thanks for your reply..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jen McTeague
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Foxhole wrote:
When a Keeper is in for example his monster attack step (step 4) and has done what he has to do. But suddenly realizes he wants to move a monster one space from one of the cards he uses in keeper action step (step 3). Is it allowed to go a step back, or do you have to follow the steps strictly?

The same goes if the Investigators realize they want to trade items, while the keeper is in lets say step 3, or anything else for that matter, is all that allowed?. :what:

You're not supposed to go back, but we generally allow it when we made a move this turn that depended on incorrect interpretations of the rules or if one side breezed over a phase that the other side wanted to take advantage of. (As keeper, I constantly forget the Investigator trading step, so if I breeze over it, I will let them trade items.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as players are given similar leniency in taking back their actions, so all is fair around the table, that's not a problem. Though strictly rules-as-written, you would not be allowed to do that. Similar to how in chess tournaments touching a piece commits you to moving it, but in casual play things are more relaxed.

Our standing rule for any game, not just MoM, is that take backs are allowed as long as no new information was revealed or any random event resolved. We all like this rule, and it helps prevent AP, since you know if you make a small mistake it can often be corrected retroactively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zulhilmi Mohd Nor
msg tools
mbmb
It's not written in the rule book that you couldn't do that. Like Jarek W said, it's up to the players on how strict you want the game to be. If it was me & my game group. We agreed on what's done is done.

On the other hand, the rule book did mention that investigators can't undo if they have attempt to solve a puzzle. And other investigators aren't allowed to help the person either. But there's no harm for you to make it more thematic like letting the investigator in the same room to be able to help the person solving the puzzle. Or letting the investigator who once owned Exploration item Magical Phrase to open the Magic Lock Door (since it's just a phrase, not an item, THEMATICALLY).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess how this is handled depends on the "competiveness" of the group. When the wife and I play (just us two), we keep it kinda simple - that is, we can go back to "change" something as long as the next step has not been initated AND OR if it has, it did NOT create a change. For example, my wife often forgets to do the "trade items". In this case, as long as I have not done something (as the keeper) in the keeper phase that changes the game (move a monster, Play Keeper Cards, etc) she can still trade.

I also let her take back the previous step in the puzzles. But that is just us. I can see where a more competitive gamimg group would have a problem with this.

- SK

EDIT: Changed "AND" to "OR if it has,"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.