United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
I just lost my Jordie who was 17 about three weeks ago now. I tried to find peace in the fact that he had a good long life and knew he was well loved. I am sure Tiger did as well. And they loved us back.

Warm regards,
Van
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
It really does take a strong person to be there with your pet at the very end. Just from the way you told your story, it is very evident his memory will never be far from you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am so sorry for your loss. Tiger was well loved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Dunne
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of my most painful memories with my cats are just what you went through, but at the same time, I was glad I was with them at the end to let them know that they were loved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Haskell
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I envy you that you got to be with and comfort Tiger in his final moments. When we lost our Kozmo dog he was on an operating table, alone except for the doctor. The last time I saw him alive he was in a kennel wagging his tail, looking at me with that boundless hope. Given the same choice again I would still gamble on the operation that might have saved his life, but I will always wish I could have stayed with him.

We were fortunate enough that the gentleman who cremated Kozmo's body allowed us to see him before hand. He thoughtfully arranged him as if he were sleeping and even draped his blanket over him to hide the operation scars. He looked like he was sleeping and was a great comfort to my wife and I.

I mourn your loss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. I'm reading this at my office and had to leave my desk because I was tearing up so much. I think lots of us are surprised by our reaction when we have to make difficult choices about our pets. They're just animals, right? No, they transcend that description to become something much more meaningful in our lives. For all the times your pet has loved you unconditionally, you've returned the favor. Thank you for your heartfelt story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Fuhs
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eddie_drood wrote:
Sorry I made you tear up. And I agree, "pet" is not a good enough word for them.

Well, I'm NOT sorry you made me tear up. Yeah, "Old Sarge" (me) NOT known for the waterworks. But Tiger's story touched me. And made me think of my "absent furry friends"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry for your loss.

About 15 years ago I had to do that drive with our old dog who we grew up with. I still rate it as one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. It truely sucks.

It sounds like Tiger had a good life, and was well loved. Reading your story made me get up and go find our little dude and give him a pat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hadfield
Canada
St Andrews
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very well written Eddie. Brought more than one tear to my eye.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Tang
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for this tribute. My eyes are also watery. Tiger looks a lot like our cats, who are both orange. Neither is as closely bonded as my previous cat because for a long time it was just that cat and me.

I did not get to see him at the end. I did find his body. He liked going outdoors and I couldn't say no, even though he would have lived to be older than 7. I spent thousands at the vet because of his outdoor trips. When someone looks at you with that amount of trust, you make things better however you can, regardless of the credit card bill or the pain it causes you.

In a year or so, when the pain isn't as fresh, you might like reading Tell Me Where it Hurts: A Day of Humor, Healing, and Hope in My Life as an Animal Surgeon by Nick Trout. http://www.amazon.com/Tell-Me-Where-Hurts-Healing/dp/0767926... He's no James Herriot and the premise of a 24 hour shift is contrived, but he does a good job of showing the enormous lengths people will go to for an animal companion, especially against the backdrop of modern veterinary medicine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
Play, play, play and have a hell of a good time.
mbmb
I'm truly sorry for your loss Eddie, and your tribute is really making me understand how important our pets can be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Patterson
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
What were you expecting?
badge
I have overtext 'cause everyone else was doing it.
mbmbmbmbmb
He looks like a fine kitty indeed.

Losing an animal is hard. Reggie, Ted, Dave, and Claude are the cats I've known and lost. But he'll always be your friend. Always.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sorry for your loss Eddie. He sounds like the best cat you could have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Australia
In hiding
flag msg tools
badge
In blackest night, in shining day, My Will is all - I'll have my way! With Emerald Light in focused ray, This Duck will rule! (If that's okay?)
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't read past halfway. I've lost a beloved pet, too.

He sounds like he was just an awesome cat. Be glad for the time you had him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so sorry for your loss. It made me tear up as well, and I had to grab a tissue so that I wouldn't have a tear streaked face at work.

We lost our chocolate lab 2 years ago. I still mourn her every day, though as time goes on I usually think of the good things first, before the pain hits. We were holding her at the very last, and she was sick with cancer, but we couldn't stand to make her suffer or live a life on horrible medications. When she was too sick to have a happy life, we made the call. It remains one of the hardest things I have ever done.

You did the right thing. But it still hurts, I know. My thoughts are with you and your family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad Tiger had such a great family who loved him like you do. He was a lucky cat, and you were a lucky family. The two cats we have now are the first pets I've ever had, and even though they are just 6 and 3, I dread the day I'll have to say goodbye to them.

Be strong, and hey - there are a lot of other poor cats out there that would love to be loved by you when you're ready for another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So very sorry for the loss of a member of your family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a cat named Athena. She was only one years old and had a huge kidney stone. We couldn't afford the surgery, but my wife would give her a lot of cranberry pills and pumpkin.

One day she was not eating anything, wouldn't move, basically looked like she was ready to die.

We were very close to bringing her somewhere to put her down so she would be out of her misery. But, thankfully, a miracle happened and the next day when we were going to take her, she was back to her normal self.

Since that time, she's become a very healthy kitty and one of the best behaved and funny cats also. She squeaks at me or my wife whenever we walk by because she wants us to pet her.

It's amazing to me how different each cat can be. All of ours have much different personalities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eddie_drood wrote:

I really didn't mean to bum everyone out, or bring up painful memories. I'm sorry about that.

I'm speaking only for myself, but I am happy that you posted this and reminded me of my Coco (the most loving dog ever - I rescued her and she rescued me right back!). So please don't feel that have done me a dis-service, that is not the case at all.

eddie_drood wrote:
I just had to do something to formally acknowledge an awesome pet and member of the family. Clearly, Tiger was not alone in being an awesome pet.

Yes - so very true - the other stories here have warmed my heart.

eddie_drood wrote:
For some reason, that reminds me of how many times we switched vets. Gentle hands and total respect are required when you touch my family's paws. A vet that shows annoyance, refuses to hold the cat like we tell them to (he'd stop wiggling if you'd just do *this* instead of *that*), or speaks to the cat like it is a block of wood instead of a family member....yup, time for a new vet.

+1!!!!!!!

eddie_drood wrote:
I was always surprised that the vet would be surprised that we wouldn't tolerate that behavior. Bad vet, bad!

That is not a vet, that is a brick. I don't want a brick "caring" for my family members either (pets or humans).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
United States
Morganton
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Im sorry for your loss Eddie. I couldnt help but tear up as I read about Tiger. I love all animals, and my wife and I have 5 cats. I have a soft spot for orange cats. My first pet when I was a kid was an orange cat named Oscar, and experienced the same type of loss after 16 years. You and your family will be in my thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Oldster
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Losing a pet is always hard. It was good you were there at the end, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven riola

joliet
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for your loss.

I dread the day anything happens to our 'boys'.

Each day we can choose to honor their memory.

You stayed with him until the end, which is something many people don't do. Be proud of your little guy and the time you had.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff
United States
Western Great Lakes - Owashtinong Aajigaaning
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cry

I've lived a life full of animals since young, these days we have a puppy, a duck and a number of hens. Our last beloved cat we did not get to say good-bye and she mysteriously disappeared. Our last dog was also euthanized but we paid a little extra as the vet was available to make a house call.

My meditations and resonations...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patroclus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a dog and cat honor I mourn for Tiger and the loss of your pet. He has such beautiful eyes in the picture at the end of your post.
RIP Tiger
cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.