Popular Tags: [View All]
Dampenon Fabien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
Rookies talk about strategy, Grognards about Logistics
mbmbmbmbmb
As a human player, when the next card is discovered and you are an eligible faction, if the next Event is potent (and with your symbol on the leftmost or near), you should pass , so you will be able to play the valuable event on next play.

This ability seems denied to Non Player Factions.

Shouldn't have for each NP Faction, two or three invaluable Events which the same faction, if played by an human, would pass on the current play to be able to implement the event in the next play ? Or, some Events which should be absolutly denied to Government and so, played shaded by an Insurgent Faction on the next play ?

So, could it be possible to START each NP Faction flowchart by a list of Events (of course, different for each insurgent and with faction logo on leftmost) :

IF next card is one of these events the Pass for the current card.

I'm still learning the game, so I don't know enough Events and factions to see if there are really some "invaluable" events, so I will read your advices carefully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a neat idea, certainly in principle. One problem in writing such lists might be, whether too many circumstances on the board could negate that "must have that event" logic. Many favored events place a base ; but what if all that Non-player's bases are already placed, what happens?

Writing exceptions for that would become very lengthy are possibly not succeed in the end in improving NP effectiveness.

Also, how would such a list figure in what the NP is giving up on the current card, which in the situation may be even more valuable.

Even the event list alone would be long for what can fit on what needs to be a handy player aid sheet.

The Non-player algorithms in the game draw a line at the complexity that can be captured on a page without small print, then compensates the NPs in other ways for the fact that human players will be more clever.

But a solitaire player is always free to come up with more complicated and effective "bots", and I look forward to what you are able to invent!

Regards, Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Preorder Navajo Wars by GMT Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Non-player factions need no further help.

-Joel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance G
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
...determines everything.
badge
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dampenon,

I have played it strictly by the flow chart and just "moving around the table" so to speak, acting out each non-players move as if I was looking to make the best move for that particular faction. (It's really easy easy to do so when you're watching your back from the Gov for alot of the game.)

I find both ways interesting but the latter far more mentally taxing as role playing for each faction. Either way I thoroughly enjoy the game and just wish I could play it often with 4 ppl.

Not that was really any answer to your Q but positive feedback nonetheless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dampenon Fabien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joel_m_toppen wrote:
Non-player factions need no further help.

-Joel

Your answer is the best but scared me to death ninja.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dampenon Fabien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Volko wrote:

Writing exceptions for that would become very lengthy are possibly not succeed in the end in improving NP effectiveness.

The Non-player algorithms in the game draw a line at the complexity that can be captured on a page without small print, then compensates the NPs in other ways for the fact that human players will be more clever.

Regards, Volko

It makes sense, I can only guess how this kind of "improvement" could be a plague for Designers (and Developers)...

Volko wrote:

But a solitaire player is always free to come up with more complicated and effective "bots", and I look forward to what you are able to invent!

I now understand why some players prefer playing as Human than following Flowchart but I guess you have balanced the game so I understand when Joel writes that player will have a task difficult enough against 3 "bots"...
And all "Govt Capabilities Events" have Govt icon leftmost, so Insurgent Factions can't try passing to avoid them...

But may be a NP Cartel would have regret having March when Govt plays "General Serrano" on next card and also FARC with "Secuestrados"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Plenty of regret to go around, I suppose!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance G
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
...determines everything.
badge
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dampenon wrote:

I now understand why some players prefer playing as Human than following Flowchart but I guess you have balanced the game so I understand when Joel writes that player will have a task difficult enough against 3 "bots"...
And all "Govt Capabilities Events" have Govt icon leftmost, so Insurgent Factions can't try passing to avoid them...

That's the beauty of the game! Either way, (solo play) just stick to one way and don't mix it up. It's tough as hell to pull off what you think you're going to do and then continually adjusting your plan to attempting victory.

You know you're playing a great game when you can't wait to play again and willing do so even when you're playing your "other self".whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.