Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Karpouzian
United States
Waverly
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, as many of you know, Ticket to Ride is free right now for the iphone. Well, you can play it on the ipad at 2x resolution...

Anyway, I have been trying to get my wife to play more than just the 'standard' board games...

We played it, and she actually liked it! (and is now plotting ways on how to beat me!)

I'm getting Carcassonne and fluxx in the mail, for my birthday, and hopefully we have some success with those as well!

She is also interested in playing Settlers of Catan, but we don't have anyone to play with.

Besides the games I mentioned, any other suggestions? Overly complicated rules will turn her off, and we'd prefer 2 player games for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about:

Finca is fun, scales well 2-4p, takes 30 min, is a beautiful and fun set collection game. It also has a rondel which determines which fruit bits you collect. I was on the fence about this one for almost a year because I thought it might be too light. But when the reprint was released I got it and am very glad--it's a favorite of my husband and adult son. Rule set so easy you can play it within minutes of reading quickly reading through them.

Thurn and Taxis-scales well 2-4p. Build your postal route across Germany! There is some luck in the cards draw but not much since there are 6 cards face up to draw from at all times plus other possible options you can take each turn. This is a very satisfying game, 2p takes probably 30 min maybe a bit more.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd skip Catan unless you can regularly find other players - I've had it for years, I think think it's been played.. umm.. once. When I have more people wanting to play I can usually think of other games I'd rather be playing.

I'd suggest checking out Pandemic - my wife LOVES this game - I have nearly 200 to choose from, and this is almost always the one she goes for when she's in the mood to play something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MJ Ginger
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am interested in this thread, too, since I'm trying to get my husband to play more games with me. (It is an uphill battle).

However, I did want to chip in, in case you don't already know about them, there are some ticket to ride user-created boards that are supposed to be quite good for two players. For example, I've heard TtR Cuba is a good map for two people. You can find it here: http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/16467/t2r-cuba-zip
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MJGinger wrote:
I am interested in this thread, too, since I'm trying to get my husband to play more games with me. (It is an uphill battle).

However, I did want to chip in, in case you don't already know about them, there are some ticket to ride user-created boards that are supposed to be quite good for two players. For example, I've heard TtR Cuba is a good map for two people. You can find it here: http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/16467/t2r-cuba-zip

That's cool! didn't know about these at all so thanks.

Take a look at my games if you'd like since nearly all of them are great with two and many scale well for more. I make notes on my games so that might be of some help to you, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
REFEREE MADNESS
badge
I'm wasting your time!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Finca

Jaipur
Easy to Teach.
Fun to Play.
Compact game for 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
My spouse is not too enthusiatic about playing board games and only plays if the game hasn't got too complex rules and does not play for too long. So far he's enjoyed playing Drako, Thurn and Taxis, Morels and Maori. I'd also recommend Jaipur and Finca like some previous posters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda CF
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Maori
One of the few my husband enjoys.

Edit: And can thowmp me on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally think Catan is fine with 2players best with 3. My lover and I have probably played close to 50 2player games.

This said Carcassonne is 'our game'.

meeple

+1 Pandemic
Maori - didn't do it for us.

Oregon is also worth a look;
Fresco still simple but perhaps a wee step up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MJ Ginger
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mamadallama wrote:
MJGinger wrote:

That's cool! didn't know about these at all so thanks.

Take a look at my games if you'd like since nearly all of them are great with two and many scale well for more. I make notes on my games so that might be of some help to you, too.

Glad I could be helpful! There was another thread about the best unofficial maps for two people here: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/764697/best-unofficial-fan-c...

It looks like Belgium was another map that people liked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan D
United Kingdom
Brislington
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and my wife enjoy:

Farmageddon
Agricola: All creatures big and small
Small World
lemonade stand
For the win
Carcassonne
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Thurn and Taxis. The card situation is less random, more choices than TTR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karpouzian
United States
Waverly
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure carcassonne did it for us. We'll give it another try or two, just to make sure, but it didn't really do it for me, either...

Fluxx she asked to play again, so that's a good sign.

I need to find some more 'girly' miniatures, and see if she would be interested in painting, maybe get her interested that way...

We still play ticket to ride on the ipad, and she said she may want to try the expansions...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joline
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hahahaha that 'girly' miniatures made me laugh a lot... Most women I know that really like miniatures (including me) tend to go for dragons.. and dragons.. and some more dragons.. and some nice cute hairy monsters (or zombies or aliens). But I would guess those are not exactly what you mean with 'girly'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
mebririth wrote:
hahahaha that 'girly' miniatures made me laugh a lot... Most women I know that really like miniatures (including me) tend to go for dragons.. and dragons.. and some more dragons.. and some nice cute hairy monsters (or zombies or aliens). But I would guess those are not exactly what you mean with 'girly'

That's very true, I love monsters. And I don't mean any cute monsters. The uglier or weirder the monster is the better I like it. I don't think I would like the traditional "girly" miniatures at all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Knight Games
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(Phew! I found the title "The Seal Has Been Broken" a little worrying - I was expecting news of a monster release of biblical proportions).

On to the game suggestions:
Rivals for Catan - this is the 2-player version of Settlers for Catan

Jambo - we seem to prefer this to all the other Kosmos two-player games. About complexity: there are quite a lot of different action cards to get used to, but a few plays soon get you used to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.