Rod Fleck
United States
Forks
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Today the Little Dude and I decided to play two games - Rise! and Hold the Line.

This game we have had a bit of a break from while we were playing Rise! or doing summer things.

He decided to play the Battle of Long Island scenario and we quickly had it set up as seen above. We then got our troops deployed and as the British Commander I laid out my men as follows:

After turn one, we really only saw movement and attempts at combat. I decided to focus on the right side and left of center as my place to move forward.

Turn two saw me break through the hills and move some troops towards the settlement, while the battle for the center continued.

Turn three saw the British efforts at close combat paying some dividends, and the light infantry breaking through...but really they will get forgotten about.

Turn four saw the British paying for their combat efforts and slowing loosing strength at the center, while they took one of the small hills.

Again in turn five, the Brits lost a unit and the Americans started their slow constant march to victory.

But, in turn six, the Brits picked up a victory point defeating the militia on the knoll and move troops up.

As the Brit commander, I really didn't have a lot of options but to move troops to try to force the Colonists off the hill tops. While he kept his firing at the marching troops.

Unfortunately by turn eight, my rolls for MPs were getting worse and his were getting better. That would cost me as he would pick up another victory point for concentrating fire on one advancing unit.

In turn nine, I did manage to force the defeat of one unit in close combat, but I was still on the loosing end of the victory points.

In the next couple of turns, my efforts to force his troops from the heights were met with fierce resistence.

In the end, the Colonists would force the Brits to loose yet another unit sealing the game for them.

Allowing the Colonial Commander to demonstrate his victory dance....

"This is what Epic looks like...yea, the shirt says it all!"

Very good scenario...I think the Brits could play to the right of the board and move around the hill, using that as a screen for a portion of the troops...but, hitting the center really doesn't pay off if the dice are rolling against you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! Love hearing of your battles with your son.

Now I've got to go check out what this Rise! thing is you mentioned...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played this scenario 2x Brits always lose. I think the only way they win. Is if they take some time and get a good number of units on the opposite side of the range of hills then start their attack. Moving down both sides. Problem is in such a case it might actually pay the Rebels to actually evacuate units. Maybe will try again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.