Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Date: November 5th, 2005

Game: I'm the Boss

Players: Carole, François, Jean-François, Johnny, Paulo, Ray and Valdir (myself)

During our game of Puerto Rico the other table had played both Memoir 44 and Ticket to Ride. We finished our games almost at the same time and were now seven players in search of a game to play. What an odd number seven is! I proposed to separate into three and four, I wanted to play Saga, but we ended up agreeing on staying together.

We didn't have too many games that would take seven. Ray proposed the new edition of I'm the Boss. Although the box says only "3 to 6", he mentioned that the game really needs a lot of people to have all the wheeling and dealing that makes the game great, so we agreed.

He explained the many types of cards that make up the game, there were a lot of questions about how they interacted and how and when to play them, it was a bit confusing at first but then everybody settled down to play.

In this game each player starts with five random cards in their hands plus one investor card in front of them. These investor cards can change hands but never leave the game. As the seventh player would not have an investor card, we agreed that he would get four extra random cards as a compensation. We rolled a die to see who would be the seventh player and it turned out to be Paulo.

The beginning we were all playing nice, but soon the nastiness erupted and the "I'm the boss", "Stop" and "Airplane" cards started flying all over, it was really crazy.

The simultaneous character of the game has the potential to lead to some very nasty situations and it could get really bad with the wrong group. Fortunately we are a nice group and could resolve the situations in a without much fighting. This could be a nightmare in a tournament environment, I think.

Final Score

First game
Player: Money
Paulo: 34
Jean-François: 32
Johnny: 31
Valdir: 30
François: 23
Ray: 13
Carole: 10
Well, after much wheeling and dealing we counted our points. I had 30 and I had done quite well, I thought I might be a contender. But then the others revealed their scores and I was relegated to fourth place...

We had liked the game so much that we all wanted to play it again, so we did. This time it was François who was the chosen one to start the game without an investor card in front of him and got consequently four extra cards to start with.

This second game went much smoother, we all knew what to do and the values of the things we were bidding for, so there were not too many problems.

Second game
Player: Money
Johnny: 54
Valdir: 38
François: 32
Ray: 28
Carole: 20
Jean-François: 18
Paulo: 15
It was only much later that I noticed a funny thing when comparing the results of the two games: the first two players in the first game ended up as the last two in the second and everybody else went up two notches, keeping their relative positions. Weird!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.