Recommend
7 
 Thumb up
 Hide
59 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Top ten games of 2012 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Nimmo
South Africa
flag msg tools
Avatar
This year is flying. Almost Essen. Time for a quiz.

Get out your crystal ball, consult your charts, draw your cards, consult the gods.....

I would like to hear your predictions for the top games to be released in 2012.

Not as easy as it sounds.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As defined by sales, vote, value, rating, ranking, influence, hype, number or plays, depth of play, quality of components, or what metric?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
As defined by sales, vote, value, rating, ranking, influence, hype, number or plays, depth of play, quality of components, or what metric?


Yes.

;-)
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't say much about upcoming Essen releases, so perhaps this is not as predictive a list as could be, but here are my big games for 2012 that have already been released (in no order):

Lords of Waterdeep
Seasons
Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game
Mice and Mystics
Smash Up
Zombicide
Star Trek: Catan

And for those yet to be released, here are my few predictions:

Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar
CO₂
Tokaido

Yes, it's a safe, conservative list, but I think it will track well and may even have a future SdJ winner or two on it.

7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Smash Up

While I have not yet played Lords of Waterdeep, I believe it is a good game and is a great gateway euro in the same vein as Stone Age, maybe even better.

I also like Morels and Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small, as these as good games despite being just for 2 players.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
freddieyu wrote:
While I have not yet played Lords of Waterdeep, I believe it is a good game and is a great gateway euro in the same vein as Stone Age, maybe even better.


Fantasy RPGers play Lords of Waterdeep and come away amazed, especially if they have an ingrained loathing of Eurogames. Young people also like the game; it feels "grown up" but avoids boring dryness.

Of all the games in my collection, nothing achieves quite that response. For that reason, the game's a keeper, as it scratches a specific itch that until now has gone largely ignored.

In short, I consider Lords of Waterdeep one of the best gateway games of the past five years.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
edelen wrote:


Hmm...An AEG game that can break the top 100? Ambitious.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Android: Netrunner
X-Wing

These two for sure. I bet they will both be in the top 100 soon (Netrunner will end up much higher than X-Wing IMO).

Ogre: Designer's Edition will be excellent, looking forward to it.

I'm hoping Sedition Wars turns out pretty good.

Gunship: First Strike may be worth mentioning as well.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll start my list.

Clash of Cultures
Eclipse: Rise of the Ancients(expansion)
1984: Animal Farm
...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:

X-Wing

These two for sure. I bet they will both be in the top 100 soon (Netrunner will end up much higher than X-Wing IMO).


I think X-Wing will have a nice initial drive, and then drop off. I don't think it'll break the top 30. Looks cool, but I think cost and other factors will make only the most ardent of fans stick around. And those type of lifestyle games don't usually garner high rankings
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
charlest wrote:

X-Wing

These two for sure. I bet they will both be in the top 100 soon (Netrunner will end up much higher than X-Wing IMO).


I think X-Wing will have a nice initial drive, and then drop off. I don't think it'll break the top 30. Looks cool, but I think cost and other factors will make only the most ardent of fans stick around. And those type of lifestyle games don't usually garner high rankings


That's definitely true. However, we haven't witnessed the power of a quality Star Wars game yet. That's a powerful IP that nearly every geek loves.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
charlest wrote:

X-Wing

These two for sure. I bet they will both be in the top 100 soon (Netrunner will end up much higher than X-Wing IMO).


I think X-Wing will have a nice initial drive, and then drop off. I don't think it'll break the top 30. Looks cool, but I think cost and other factors will make only the most ardent of fans stick around. And those type of lifestyle games don't usually garner high rankings


That's definitely true. However, we haven't witnessed the power of a quality Star Wars game yet. That's a powerful IP that nearly every geek loves.


What Lords of Waterdeep is to Eurogames, X-Wing is to wargames. That alone is worth considering X-Wing a top game for 2012. Whereas its previous incarnation as Wings of Glory / Wings of War appealed primarily to light wargamers, changing the theme to Star Wars will pull in a much larger crowd that had no interest in WWI biplanes. Even the crowd that had no interest in miniatures is oohing and aahing over the sculpts, and that's full of massive win for FFG. Some may buy the game or its expansions for the models alone. For this reason, the Millennium Falcon sculpt may even outsell the base game!

No, X-Wing may not be the top game of the last five years, but in a year that seems a bit on the weaker side for games, it certainly is a winner in 2012.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Only one on my "best of 2012" list so far:

The Manhattan Project

But, most of my "new game" plays have been more 2011 than 2012 games, the best of those:
-Village
-Kingdom Builder
-Belfort
-Québec
-Strasbourg
-Vanuatu
-Walnut Grove
-Takenoko

I highly recommend any of these if you haven't tried 'em.
(Some of these I guess could count as 2012 games since they weren't widely available in the US until 2012, e.g. Village.)
4 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Only one on my "best of 2012" list so far:

The Manhattan Project


Almost made my list. A solid choice.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lanz RafDE
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 2p:

X-Wing and Wings of Glory are my favorite miniature games of all time
Descent 2nd Edition is great (except for the balancing issues)
Village is an innovative euro with interesting mechanics
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kieren Otton
msg tools
cool thread.

I agree with Lords of Waterdeep, great game

2 I tried recently that I think would make it are Level 7 from Privateer Press, and Libertalia from Asmodee. Both top games.

When was Eminent Domain released? If its this year should be amongst it also

Honest
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep
Morels
The Manhattan Project
Descent 2nd ed.
Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game
Android: Netrunner
Mice and Mystics
Thunderbolt Apache Leader
Samuria Battles
Clash of Cultures/Archipelago/Mage Wars
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Richmond
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Avatar
Maybe I'm just poor in imagination but the only thing mentioned so far that excites me is Android.

P.S. What is essen?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1989: Dawn of Freedom is exceptional.

I expect the netrunner reprint to do well.
Same with the eclipse and Mage knight expansions.

Love letter could be a hit as well as City of horror / Spartacus, although both are probably too ameritrash to really breakthrough.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
strich wrote:
Maybe I'm just poor in imagination but the only thing mentioned so far that excites me is Android.

P.S. What is essen?

Here's the translation: http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&lang=de&searchLoc=0&cmpType... meeple

Apart from that, it's the biggest gaming event in the whole world, held every year in October in the German city of Essen. Gamer's paradise!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Richmond
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Avatar
PzVIE wrote:
strich wrote:
Maybe I'm just poor in imagination but the only thing mentioned so far that excites me is Android.

P.S. What is essen?

Here's the translation: http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&lang=de&searchLoc=0&cmpType... meeple

Apart from that, it's the biggest gaming event in the whole world, held every year in October in the German city of Essen. Gamer's paradise!


Hah thanks for the information. I know of every major video game event in the world, but I know nothing of the world of board games. That changes by the minute though.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MageWars looks to be huge. sold out in 1 minute 44 seconds at gencon
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
MageWars looks to be huge. sold out in 1 minute 44 seconds at gencon


Feedback hasn't been kind, though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
edelen wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:
MageWars looks to be huge. sold out in 1 minute 44 seconds at gencon


Feedback hasn't been kind, though.



Looking at the average rating of 8.39 from 80 voters so far and looking at this
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/items/boardgame/1017...
that's not the impression I'm getting at all.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
MageWars looks to be huge. sold out in 1 minute 44 seconds at gencon


If true, factor in smaller amounts they brought in while they staggered selling them over the time frame for GenCon. They did not sell completely out in day one. The buzz for selling out during GenCon was the new Netrunner.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.