Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: How does the 2nd encounter choice work? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tiduz 99
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How does the second encounter choice actually work?

On Sunday we were looking at the quest guide but after encounter 1 of the Fat Goblin there only seemed to be one encounter two quest. However when we looked at the small quest sheet (where you keep track of gold) it showed two different encounter two quests.

Is the second encounter quest always the same with the only difference being that the winner of encounter one chooses the location on the map for the travel step?

Maybe a misinterpretation on my part but I thought I read some where that you had the choice of two different quests which would greatly aid re-playability of the campaign....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
You are getting quests and encounters mixed up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Thompson
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
There is no choice between encounters - " A Fat Goblin " is a quest comprising two encounters which are played sequentially. The outcome of the first encounter will change some starting parameters in the second encounter - in this case Splig's health. Note also that there is no travel, shopping or healing between these two encounters, only recovery of stamina and a few other resets.

The outcome of this two part quest will determine which of the two associated Act II quests are available to be chosen. These Act II quests are usually scripted after the result of the Act I quest they follow, e.g. if Frederick is rescued in Act I he will advise the heroes in Act II whereas if he remains captured in Act I he may need to be rescued in Act II.

Unfortunately, all this scripting has largely passed my players by as we cannot bear to either read or listen to the cheesy dialogue which accompanies it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tiduz 99
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Can you elaborate please? Especially on what the two location names mean on the small quest sheet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
All quests are divided into 2 encounters. Exceptions are the Intro, the 2 Interludes, and the 2 Finales.
The first encounter of each quest has consequences on the second encounter of the same quest (giving advantage to the winner of the 1st encounter during the 2nd encounter).

Here is an example.

You start the A Fat Goblin quest, which is composed of two encounters (parts).

You set up the the first encounter (the one depicted on the left page on the Quest booklet) and run it until either the heroes' or the Overlord's victory condition is met.

In this specific case (the A Fat Goblin quest), you keep track of how many bundles of grain the goblin archers successfully took.

Then you set up and start the second encounter (the one depicted on the right page on the Quest booklet) of the same quest. In this case, Splig has a number of additional health points depending upon the number of bundles the goblins successfully retrieved during the 1st encounter.

The winner of this second encounter is the winner of the entire quest. Mark him on the Campaign Sheet.

All five of the Act I quests corresponds to two Act II quests. In the case of A Fat Goblin, if the Overlord wins he locks out the The Monster's Hoard quest; if the heroes win they lock out the The Frozen Spire quest (as you can see on the Campaign Sheet).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tiduz 99
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Perfect! Thanks Erik I understand completely now. cool

Enjoying this game immensely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Painkeeper wrote:
All quests are divided into 2 encounters. Exceptions are the Intro, the 2 Interludes, and the 2 Finales.
The first encounter of each quest has consequences on the second encounter of the same quest (giving advantage to the winner of the 1st encounter during the 2nd encounter).

Here is an example.

You start the A Fat Goblin quest, which is composed of two encounters (parts).

You set up the the first encounter (the one depicted on the left page on the Quest booklet) and run it until either the heroes' or the Overlord's victory condition is met.

In this specific case (the A Fat Goblin quest), you keep track of how many bundles of grain the goblin archers successfully took.

Then you set up and start the second encounter (the one depicted on the right page on the Quest booklet) of the same quest. In this case, Splig has a number of additional health points depending upon the number of bundles the goblins successfully retrieved during the 1st encounter.

The winner of this second encounter is the winner of the entire quest. Mark him on the Campaign Sheet.

All five of the Act I quests corresponds to two Act II quests. In the case of A Fat Goblin, if the Overlord wins he locks out the The Monster's Hoard quest; if the heroes win they lock out the The Frozen Spire quest (as you can see on the Campaign Sheet).

And just to expand and clarify on this: you don't play the Act II quest immediately after the Act I quest. You play the Intro, then three Act I quests, then one of the Interludes (determined by who won the most Act I quests), then three Act II quests (with the available choices determined by which Act I quests were attempted and won by who), then one of the Finales (determined by who won the most Act II quests).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
Live Fast. Love Hard. Die With Your Mask On.
badge
True-Man's come home! ...and he IS the storm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Also note: When it comes to doing the Act II quests, you don't have to do the Act II quests that coincide with the Act I quests that were chosen. You can choose any of the Act II quests ... with the caveat being that any Act II quest you decide to play in which you did not play the Act I portion, it is considered the Overlord won the Act I.

Ie. If you did A Fat Goblin, Castle Daerion and The Cardinal's Plight.
Then later decided to do one of the Act II quests below The Masquerade Ball ... you would have to choose The Twin Idols.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.