Subject: Big W: What am I doing wrong? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay so I tried this scenario 3 times now, and every time I die in a horrible way -which is fun and all, but I would like some help on this one, as there are very few reviews on that particular scenario for some reason. I only found one or two and they both say that it's quite an easy scenario (what the hell?!)

For the record, I did not have too much troubles winning most scenarios, it took me 3 tries to finish the first one but I knew it would be challenging. #5 however, Big Freaking W, is a huge mystery to me. I just finished a solo game with 6 survivors and I died at the yellow level because of a runner activate again, and 2 walkers activate again, all in one turn. Granted I wasn't very lucky on this one, but still I'd like some advice before trying it again.

TL;DR NEED HELP ON #5 BIG W ZOMBIES EVERYWHUR!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark keedwell
United Kingdom
weston super mare
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we played it yesterday 3 players 6 survivors ,start at top buildin and go down to get to bottom room ,make you have right weapons and move down wards, keeping in blue till you 2nd second building when you reach the bottom room it maybe yellow, you maybe able to clear the big building with half your party the rest can knock out the main roads ,a bit to make it easier for you when you have cleared the bottom room move in big party west .. by that time you have better weapons and skills .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Marti
Switzerland
Riedholz
Solothurn
flag msg tools
Super Trooper, I said!
badge
Waaagh
mbmbmbmbmb
After I saw your post, I gave it some tries (well 2 out of 3 games were I succedded). I played solo with 5 survivors.

For me it was key not to face that last building with 7 room, when you are at orange or even red already. Therefore I made sure, to open both big buildings - seven rooms ech - when I was still at blue. Having Wanda it the team definitly helps doing this. Armed with a crowbar she rushed to the second building, while the others were approaching the first one. Then on turn two I opened both buildings. there will not be that many Zombies in fact and I was then able to focus on "crowdcontrol".

The second key here is, to secure a relatively safe spot to search for items.

Combining both things togehter (and maybe not being reliant on Wanda) you should open the 4 room building between both the bigger ones first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Walker
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
I just played this scenario last night for the the first time playing solo with 4 survivors and won! I've beaten every scenario solo with 6 survivors and I win more often than I lose, so I decided to ramp up the difficulty.

I group consisted of Doug, Amy, Ned, and El Cholo. When I got to the final objective (which was in the top left building) Amy was my only survivor in the red and all the others were in orange. Not only was everyone alive, but also in perfect health. I pledged abomination level and have pretty much always played using the combined base and extra zombies and cards.

Strategy: Open the top right building first and do what you must to get the first room clear to have the other survivors file in and search. While most of the group is clearing out the building I will have Amy move down to the middle building with a crowbar or fire axe and pop open that door. I never open the door on her last action though, that could mean trouble. Depending on the weapons she is carrying and how the four rooms spawn she'll either stick it out or head back towards the main group.
After the top right building is clear or mostly clear I'll have my survivor with the fewest kills pick up the 1st objective. Then they all make their way to the south. I temporarily ignore the middle objective and open the bottom rightmost door leading to the street from the middle building. Then, while everyone is still in the blue, I open the door to the south big building. After this is done, I don't really worry about my danger level with any of the survivors, but try to keep them all somewhat even.
So, what ended up happening was the survivor with the least xp picked up the 2nd objective and everyone filed down to the south big building to help clear it all out. Once this was done they all made their way to the left most door in this building and picked up the 3rd objective on the way. Several turns were spent searching and waiting with all the survivors. I believe I was still in yellow at this point and was waiting until there weren't very many zombies in the zone just outside the door I was about to open. A couple of characters had chainsaws, I had not 1 but 2 characters with sniper rifles and extra ammo. Doug was dual wielding sawed offs and the group as a whole possessed a Molotov and a half (glass bottles).
When the time was right I made a run for the bottom left building. It took 2 or 3 turns to get everyone inside and pick up the 4th objective. Here's where it got scary. Doug and Ned were in orange at this point, with El Cholo and Amy not far behind. With way the spawns worked I ran out of walkers, giving them just enough turns to put 7 of them in the entrance room of the building with 3 survivors. Just outside on the streets, another 20 walkers! In the zone to the right of that, another 20 walkers and a runner!
Here's how I got out of it without a scratch: Ned disposed of the 7 in the room with his chainsaw then frantically searched for the last remaining gas card with his flashlight, only to find... another walker. He used his last action to pick it off with the sniper rifle. El Cholo then whipped out the Molotov I had been holding on to and clearing the 20 zombies just outside then searched using the other flashlight, and finally found that damn gas card. Amy spent a couple of actions trading with El Cholo and Ned to make the Molotov, ran out into the street and got 21 kills on the other zone swarmed with zombies. Doug met up with her and swapped out the dual sawed offs for a shotgun to make easy work of some fatties shambling from the left.
The group took the left most route (through spawning zones) to the top left building. Amy reached the door first, popped it open to find 7 walkers on the 5th and final objective and a sewer card, causing the entrance room to be empty. In the next turnShe just ran up and snagged it, then used her remaining actions and free combat to victory chainsaw the crap out of the walkers there, getting a 50/50 shot a hitting.

Sorry for going into too much detail and rambling there, but I had great fun with this one, and won!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.