Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
Help!

I had a fish oil capsule in my shirt all day and I forgot it was there. It was a hot day at the zoo and somewhere, somewhen, it deflated and emptied the smell into my shirt. Because we where hanging around the "safari" boat ride, I assumed that we'd picked up seagull breath or something. But, when I got home (and this was actually weeks ago), I discovered the horrid truth of it all.

Over the past 3 weeks, I've washed the shirt 3 times with detergent. I've soaked it in vinegar. I've sprinkled tons of baking power on it. I've drizzled lavender oil on it to try to mask the scent. I've just washed it in dish soap. Nothing seems to work. I don't want to lose my $100 shirt. I suppose I can save it for fishing trips (on the assumption I want to start up a new hobby).

HELP!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
Hang it outside where it can get direct sunlight and fresh air. But it may be hosed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grow a pure culture of Proteus mirabilis. (There's probably some out in your yard right now!) Most strains of P. mirabilis produce lipase. Pellet the cells in your centrifuge and spread the pellet on the spot. Incubate at 37 C overnight. Easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get a new favorite shirt and stop taking fish oil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
Claim that you are wearing an expensive perfume called L'Huile de Poisson.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Febreze?
Lemon?

I doubt anyone notices it because of your fish burps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Honorable Mayor McCheese
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fish oil stinks? Huh, who knew?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Davidson
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
www.istroyworking.com
badge
www.istroyworking.com
mbmbmb
jeffwiles wrote:
Grow a pure culture of Proteus mirabilis. (There's probably some out in your yard right now!) Most strains of P. mirabilis produce lipase. Pellet the cells in your centrifuge and spread the pellet on the spot. Incubate at 37 C overnight. Easy.

I'm really having a hard time thumbing this post since I have NO FREAKING IDEA WHAT IT MEANS!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I volunteered for the Red Cross we used to give out a pamphlet after home fires instructing people to wash their clothes in a very strong solution of fabric softener to remove the smoke odors. Unfortunately I can't find a copy of that pamphlet right now, but if I do come across it I'll let you know the exact instructions if you want to try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I asked my mom, who has this amazing product that gets any sort of oil out of any cloth. I used to have some, but I couldn't remember what it was called.

It's called Lestoil, and you won't find it in the laundry isle. You can get it at Home Depot (and probably other places, too). You only need a very small amount! Work it into the fabric and rinse it right away or put it into the washer. She said that after it comes out of the washer, it might still smell, but it won't when you remove it from the dryer. This stuff is amazing and even gets the nastiest mechanical grease out of clothes.

If you're going to remove something oily, you need something sort of oily -- oils are hydrophobic. Lemon juice sounds great because it masks smells very well. Salt sounds great because it's abrasive but will dissolve. Both lemon juice and salt are hydrophilic. Soap is both hydrophilic and hydrophobic (that's called amphipathic), which is why it works. But to remove pure oil, you need something stronger than just regular soap. Thus ends the chemistry lesson for today.

Easier than growing a pure culture of Proteus mirabilis!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clandaith wrote:
jeffwiles wrote:

I'm really having a hard time thumbing this post since I have NO FREAKING IDEA WHAT IT MEANS!!!

You have a far more stringent thumb criteria than most Chit Chatters, I suspect...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got back from the feed and seed with their largest bag of Proteicide. Don't need that crap in my yard...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob cavallo
United States
roseland
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
burn the shirt and buy a new one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Honorable Mayor McCheese
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you could start a campaign for one of the major brands of laundry detergent to creat new Fish Oil scented detergent. Then more people's clothes will smell like your shirt and no one will notice yours amongst the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Reprint wrote:
I don't want to lose my $100 shirt. I suppose I can save it for fishing trips (on the assumption I want to start up a new hobby).

You could wear the shirt when you volunteer at a local animal shelter and have all the cats love you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
peloquin17 wrote:
burn the shirt and buy a new one.

What does a 100 dollar shirt look like anyway?
p
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried any actual stain removers, like Shout?

Greasy stains can be the worst, since they can just be too dense for detergent to get in there. Thinning them with a lighter oil can help, or use a heavier degreaser.

My mom used to use 'Fast Orange' hand cleaner and a stiff brush on shirts, rags, pants, etc with engine oil, axle grease, etc on them and it worked well. (Autozone et al, carry it, I'm sure any other auto/hardware store has something similar.)

I've been told that petroleum jelly worked into greasy stains can make them easier to wash out too, but haven't tried it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You paid $100 for a shirt?

What???????????
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Boil it for 36 hours in a 27.42% (w/w) solution of activated charcoal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I bought some shoes from a drug dealer. I don’t know what he laced them with, but I’ve been tripping all day.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
When I worked in the oil patch back in the early '80s, I had to handle the empty 55-gal. drums of "Stench", the brand name for PennWell's ethyl mercaptan solution which was added to semi-trailer tanks full of LPG. (Ethyl mercaptan strongly resembles the odor of skunk spray. It's what gives natural gas the odor you smell when there's a leak.) We used to pour a gallon of ordinary bleach into the empty drums, then lay them on their side and roll them back a forth a few times to spread it around. Then we'd empty the drums and crush them for recycling.

If we got any Stench on our clothes, we would soak them for a few minutes in a 10% bleach-water solution, then wash as normal. Seemed to work pretty well.

Be sure to test the bleach solution on a hidden part of your shirt before trying the whole thing. I use the tip of the front shirttail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:

What???????????
It was down from $150! It's a.. well, wait, I'll go find it...

well, sheesh. It's only $139 US new. Damn artificial exchange rate!

shirt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Reprint wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:

What???????????

shirt

I was expecting something more like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Da Debil wrote:
Reprint wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:

What???????????

shirt

I was expecting something more like this.

I was thinking more like this:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.