BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Office Life, what do you think? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Walter Sharrow
msg tools
designer
mb
I have a card game I've invented called Office Life. To help people understand the game, I've made a video for it. I haven't gotten alot of feedback about the video, which shows a hand being played by famous presidents of the United States. Would any of you like to offer some feedback?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCueiJryPUY&list=UUdU3Tpqeiuy...

I haven't gotten the website up yet, but I plan on making QR Codes for it that should send people directly to that video on their cellphones. So they see the game in a store, take interest in it, scan the code, and pop into a video describing the game. Clever, right? Since I don't have any retail boxs, just clear plastic cases, it's about all I can offer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The QR code idea is genius. That is all.

I watched the video, and the game seems fun. There were some good small humorous scenes in the video--Abe providing the pennies, George's parting words--that can be amplified if you do a second take of the video. I wasn't clear why you were playing with the former Presidents--there didn't seem to be any logic behind it, even humorous logic. The video was a little quiet, and I'm not sure if you glossed over some of the rules or just spoke so quickly that I missed them, but I wasn't sure where all the flaw cards were coming from in the second half of the game, whether or not there was a draw phase between turns, etc. I didn't get a good impression of the "fun" of the game until the second half, so you might add in a disclaimer during the early, slow part that things are going to get CRRRRRRAAZY up in here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yi Sheng Siow
msg tools
Too much math. Not enough fun. I imagine that when you're actually in the game, it's not easy to see how many points each player actually has and who's in the lead, because you have to add up all of that player's cards and calculate. For a game that so dependant on how many exact points each player has, that's not good.

Also, it seems too one-dimensional for me to want to play it.

Nice video though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Sharrow
msg tools
designer
mb
It's a strategic scoring card game. You tweak your score pile and the whole scoring system, a bit like Fluxx.

First you layout *WHO* you are as an employee with Attribute cards. There's 3 Attributes: Suckup, Hardwork, and Prestige.

Then you roll up who your Boss is. If you're Boss loves something, it's worth double points. If he's just ok with it, the card is worth face value. And if he HATES something, then the card is worth negative value.

Then, after the last deal, players take turns playing Flaws and Bonus cards to tweak their score and score of their opponents... even modify the Boss himself. This is done with Bonus Cards and Flaws.

Flaws don't make you any points, but they help get rid of scores that hurt you and aid your opponents. You can play the Flaw and Bonus cards on any player, including yourself. If the Boss hates something, then killing off those points becomes critical, as is killing off the positive points of your opponents.

Bonus cards are your typical modifiers, ranging from free-floating bonuses you can use on any Attribute, dumping your bad cards on others, to changing the Boss's mind on Attributes, or even replace the Boss entirely!

In a 2 player game, it's not too hard to keep track of the total score. In a game with 4 or more players, it gets to be very chaotic. There's enough cards for 5 players. You only get 9 cards total per player, no further draws on the deck. There's 54 cards total, but 1 of them is the Rules/Boss card, so it's 1 card short of 6 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Sharrow
msg tools
designer
mb
siowy wrote:
Too much math. Not enough fun. I imagine that when you're actually in the game, it's not easy to see how many points each player actually has and who's in the lead, because you have to add up all of that player's cards and calculate. For a game that so dependant on how many exact points each player has, that's not good.

Nice video though.

Um, thanks? Got any comments about my mother well you're at it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolfo Beunding
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MaxSMoke777 wrote:
siowy wrote:

Nice video though.

Too much math? I guess if adding and subtracting a 1 or a 2 is difficult it might be hard. I think it might be handy for the players to have something that allows them to track their score as the game progresses. I like the concept of the game, and certainly would try the game. By the way, score on the Swing line 747 in fiesta red, not to mention the post it notes with various sayings. Good graphics for the game theme.

The video was fun, and I do have to agree I was wondering at one point where did they get these other cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
MaxSMoke777 wrote:
siowy wrote:

Nice video though.

Well that was uncalled for.

If you can't take criticism, you shouldn't be designing games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yi Sheng Siow
msg tools
I didn't get from the video that you could alter the boss. That voids my comment of it being one-dimensional and not enough fun. I would enjoy altering the boss and causing a big shift in the points ("Switch the boss's loves and hates" would be awesome)

I still think it will be difficult to track player scores.

One thing I can think of is to make all attribute modifier cards only modify by +1 or -1. Then show in the video that players separate their cards into 3 piles, one for each attribute, and matching up their flaws with bonuses so the 'net' attribute is easier to see by just counting the cards in the 'net' row.

Colour-coding will also help score-tracking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
Hong Kong
Ma On Shan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"Office Life, what do you think?"

I think office life is damn boring. I play games just to escape from this boring life. I want to be a hero saving the world. I want to conquer the world. I want to kill zombies, orcs, aliens....

A game of office life? Not for me. I could never understand why people enjoy games about growing crops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Sharrow
msg tools
designer
mb
siowy wrote:
I didn't get from the video that you could alter the boss. That voids my comment of it being one-dimensional and not enough fun. I would enjoy altering the boss and causing a big shift in the points ("Switch the boss's loves and hates" would be awesome)

I still think it will be difficult to track player scores.

One thing I can think of is to make all attribute modifier cards only modify by +1 or -1. Then show in the video that players separate their cards into 3 piles, one for each attribute, and matching up their flaws with bonuses so the 'net' attribute is easier to see by just counting the cards in the 'net' row.

Colour-coding will also help score-tracking.

Yes, you can both adjust the boss's "Feelings" about a single Attribute, as well as completely replace the boss, with the right card.

If you look closely, I think you'll see all of your suggests (minus the color idea), already implemented in the game. I tried to make the video as short, and yet as comprehensive as possible. I'm not too sure what more I could have possibly done with it to make it more understandable.

That color idea is interesting. I'll consider it... if I ever get around to doing another version.

The underwhelming enthusiasm I've encountered from others hasn't bolstered my desire to work on it much more. As you might guess, I've already put in dozens of hours to it's production, as well as spend hundreds of dollars printing out test decks from companies like ArtCow. I've beta tested nearly a hundred games so far. The 2 dozen hours I put into the production of that video pretty much constitutes the last of my drive for that particular project.

Until I can sell at least 1 single deck to someone, I'm about done with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
mbmbmbmbmb
Springheeledjack wrote:
MaxSMoke777 wrote:
siowy wrote:

Nice video though.

Agreed, odd reaction when you specifically asked for feedback....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Sharrow
msg tools
designer
mb
UniqueRabbit wrote:
Springheeledjack wrote:
MaxSMoke777 wrote:
siowy wrote:

Nice video though.

Agreed, odd reaction when you specifically asked for feedback....

If you were paying attention, and clearly you're not, Yi admitted that his comments were made without actually looking over the video, and he changed them afterwords. As other people have pointed out across the internet, there's "Constructive Criticism" and there's "Haters". Constructive Criticism is based on honest and knowledgeable feedback. Haters just hate.

Yi's comment wasn't quite in the category of a Hater, but he didn't really look over my game before making his initial comments either. He has since changed his posted more useful feedback, and I appreciate him taking the time to be helpful.

You two, though, seem to be more interested in finding a reason to go on the offensive. Have either of you looked over the video in question? Do you have anything constructive to say?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Sharrow
msg tools
designer
mb
Ultracheng wrote:
"Office Life, what do you think?"

I think office life is damn boring. I play games just to escape from this boring life. I want to be a hero saving the world. I want to conquer the world. I want to kill zombies, orcs, aliens....

A game of office life? Not for me. I could never understand why people enjoy games about growing crops.

Thanks. More useful feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.