msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a short session report of the first half of our campaign:

We have four players, and none of us have played the first edition. There's the overlord and three heroes: Jain (wildlander), Leoric (runemaster) and Syndrael (knight). We do, however, have some experience with games of this type.

First Blood: nothing special to report - the overlord tried to run away a bit with Mauler, but the ettin got killed pretty quickly. The heroes win!

A Fat Goblin: the OL managed to knock down Syndrael twice, but the goblins only escaped with two crops. In the second encounter the heroes played a bit too recklessly (Syndrael got knocked down thrice, the others once), but the overlord made some tactical errors of his own, and Splig died just before reaching the entrance. This really could've gone either way, but the heroes win!

Death on the Wing: the heroes took a beating in the first encounter, but managed to get through the canyon. Because of some crappy monster placement, the overlord lost the second encounter after two heroes had had their first turn. The heroes win!

The Cardinal's Plight: the OL escaped with two zombies in the first part. In the second part, oh boy. We killed all the monsters from the board. No problem. But at the beginning of the OL's turn, he just spawns the master zombie in the library and immobilizes the cardinal with 'grab'. We couldn't prevent this by any hero placement or special ability. The cardinal didn't make the saving throw 12 times in a row. If the cardinal makes the saving throw, then the OL plays a web trap/tripwire. The OL went through his deck at least twice. At one point the cardinal had 13 damage, but got healed back to four, eventually. We managed to move the cardinal two spaces in a time span of three hours, then the OL decided to give up on the whole game because the encounter was so broken. Eh, I think it's just about 75% bad quest design and 25% unbelievably crappy luck with the cardinal's rolls. Anyways, nobody wins! Fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Andrew
Indonesia
Bandung
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lol.. in my case, the heroes never win. there must be rule errors in the way we're playing.. or the OL is cheating

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wann
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the same thing with The Cardinal's Plight.

Once I realised that the heroes had it over me as the OL I didn't give up exactly but I no longer attempted to grab or prevent Koth from moving so much. I tried to still make it a hard tense affair for the heroes sake but I knew with only 1 Zombie incoming per turn and only the Lieutenant to distract the heroes I wasn't really going to win without dragging it out.

I just conceded so that the game could continue and no one loses interest/stops having fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitris Zervakis
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johhak wrote:
The Cardinal's Plight: the OL escaped with two zombies in the first part. In the second part, oh boy. We killed all the monsters from the board. No problem. But at the beginning of the OL's turn, he just spawns the master zombie in the library and immobilizes the cardinal with 'grab'. We couldn't prevent this by any hero placement or special ability. The cardinal didn't make the saving throw 12 times in a row. If the cardinal makes the saving throw, then the OL plays a web trap/tripwire. The OL went through his deck at least twice. At one point the cardinal had 13 damage, but got healed back to four, eventually. We managed to move the cardinal two spaces in a time span of three hours, then the OL decided to give up on the whole game because the encounter was so broken. Eh, I think it's just about 75% bad quest design and 25% unbelievably crappy luck with the cardinal's rolls. Anyways, nobody wins! Fun!

If I remember correctly - I don't have the questbook in front of me right now - Koth is not allowed to move until he is "rescued". Also, how did you heal him from 13 to 4 damage? You do know that the action of (successfully) healing him is allowed only once per round, right? It seems quite a feat with 3 zombies in there anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.