Popular Tags: [View All]
Geki
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I read through the forums but still wanted to ask people's opinion about the chances for the heroes to win any of the quests. We stopped the campaign after the first encounter of the second act went terribly bad for the heroes, just as it happened through the entire act one.

The heroes were only able to win the second part of Masquerade Ball with a quick rush on the Vampire-Liutenant. Any other encounter, 1st or 2nd of each quest, was won by the overlord, usually without any tension and/or chance.

We felt this was due to the lack of alternatives in strategy for a two-heroes group.

Did anyone else find easily to crush a 2heroes group?

Or were our heroes rolling terribly bad? (Cannot be just bad strategy, often they were both dead by the second turn, after having killed monsters and healed with the Disciple's Prayer)

For complete information, Ispher was the Disciple, Syndrael the Berserker

Best
Geki

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard it said that games with two Heroes favor the Overlord, games with four Heroes favor the Heroes, and in good Goldilocks fashion, games with three Heroes are juuuuust right.

I personally only have experience with four Heroes, and as the Overlord, I feel like I'm getting crushed pretty bad. I've won one encounter, but still lost all of the quests so far, and even though some of the quests were relatively close, the Heroes are getting so much stronger through items and abilities than I am with my one new card.

The problem that smaller parties have is not necessarily one of being overrun too easily, because I feel like the monster group limits help toward that end just fine. The problem is that they have more obvious holes in their defenses. A Disciple and a Berserker are a decent two-Hero team, but they typically lack in Speed and Awareness, so the Overlord can tailor his play to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wann
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played a 2 hero campaign up to the interlude. Not once did the heroes even look like winning.

We stopped and had each player control 2 heroes. Now with 4 heroes it seems easier for the heroes to win. They have been lucky on a couple of quests and a few tactical errors on the OL part has helped a bit.

I think 2 hero groups really need to think about what heroes to select and try to maximize survivability and damage output.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vela
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have noted, playing with 2 players tends to be weighed slightly in OL's favor. You need to have the two player team select the right class pairing and play tight and aggressive off the starts. Any stumbles by the heroes will ensure OL victory. More times than not the heroes should fore-go search tokens and have tunnel vision in regards to the goal of the encounter. Grabbing search tokens only when victory or defeat is assured.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want, you can have players control more than 1 Hero each, so you can add more Heroes without necessarily adding players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
enric portell
msg tools
mbmbmb
maybe in 2 heroes games the character choosing is more important.
having no distance attack allows the overlord to "control" the map and to make you run over and over.

a ranged one is important here (maybe a disciple and a necromancer, or a runemaster)

i ve been playing games with that combination and it favours not so much the overlord (act I 2OL 1Heroes, interlude won by heroes, and act II 1OL 2-heroes....sadly OL won final, but because we didn't choose the best act II quests)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With two heroes it is very important that the heroes power game. Any mistakes or silly play and they will be crushed. With tight play, two heroes can win, but you have to min/max AND outplay the OL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Owens
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played through the intro quest and Fat Goblin and it seemed pretty even. The overlord won the intro but the heroes had a chance to win on the last dice roll but missed. The heroes and overlord both got 2 crops in the first part of Fat Goblin and the heroes won the 2nd encounter with some great dice rolling.

One of them is using Grisban the Thirsty though, so that could be why they aren't rolling over me.

Maybe have them play with characters that doesn't seem to be as powerful to even things out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondrej Kocnar
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
I've heard it said that games with two Heroes favor the Overlord, games with four Heroes favor the Heroes, and in good Goldilocks fashion, games with three Heroes are juuuuust right.

I personally only have experience with four Heroes, and as the Overlord, I feel like I'm getting crushed pretty bad. I've won one encounter, but still lost all of the quests so far, and even though some of the quests were relatively close, the Heroes are getting so much stronger through items and abilities than I am with my one new card.

The problem that smaller parties have is not necessarily one of being overrun too easily, because I feel like the monster group limits help toward that end just fine. The problem is that they have more obvious holes in their defenses. A Disciple and a Berserker are a decent two-Hero team, but they typically lack in Speed and Awareness, so the Overlord can tailor his play to that.

Well, did anybody noticed that monster group scaling does not seem much balanced? This is not a problem of each monster group, but for example Goblins, Zombies and Cave Spiders come in packets 1/2 for two heroes, 1/3 for three and 1/4 for four. That is: all groups have one minion per hero, but the number of masters is constant. This seems quite imbalanced and can be one of the factors, why 2-heroes games seem too hard for heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.