Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shaun Taylor
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
Would a Core Set Sealed event be viable? Crack a Core Set, randomly distribute the Runner and corp decks amongst 6 players (set the extra Corp deck aside). Randomly distribute the Neutrals? Players swap decks for the second game in their match.

Just trying to find a way to:

a) Justify the cost of another Core Set

b) Get people playing

Are the starter decks unplayable without the Neutral Cards? Should the Agenda Point goal be lowered for this type of event?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Without the neutral agendas, you would not have legal decks. The agenda point limit is in place to ensure that the runner has a viable chance of pulling agendas when running against central servers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Taylor
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
I get that the decks would not be legal. That's why I was asking if the format would be viable (similar to a sealed-event in Magic; you create 40-card decks that are exceptions to the 60-card minimum rule).

I meant lower the Agenda Point goal as in from "7 Agenda points to win" to "5 Agenda Points to win". This would offset losing those neutral agendas.

Again, I know it isn't perfect, but I'm just looking for a cheap way to get 6 people to play out of one box for an evening and have fun.

edit: After looking at the Neutrals, I could give each of the 3 corp players 1 Priority Req & 1 Private Security force. Maybe give each of the runners 1 Crypsis and 1 Armitage Codebusting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if we use the deck building rules as a guideline, every 5 cards added to or removed from the deck alters the agenda point total by 2. The majority of agenda cards are neutrals - each faction has only 5 to 6 agenda points on their own, with 15 points coming from neutral cards. If you split those neutral cards up, giving one of each neutral agenda to each corp player, that would give each deck 10 to 11 agenda points.

As that is a loss of 10 agenda points, you would need to remove 25 cards from each deck. Thus, instead of having 45 card decks, they would shrink to 20 card decks.

If you built decks using all cards from one faction and one of each neutral card with 3 included in the core set (which would exclude Melange Mining Corp and Hunter), each corp deck would naturally have 34 cards. This is a bit high for the amount of agenda points left in these decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zedward wrote:
Would a Core Set Sealed event be viable? Crack a Core Set, randomly distribute the Runner and corp decks amongst 6 players (set the extra Corp deck aside). Randomly distribute the Neutrals? Players swap decks for the second game in their match.

Just trying to find a way to:

a) Justify the cost of another Core Set

b) Get people playing

Are the starter decks unplayable without the Neutral Cards? Should the Agenda Point goal be lowered for this type of event?

I purchased 2 sets, partially to allow me to teach others, and eventually to give me more options for deck building once folks have purchased their own copies.

I can engage 3 people: my opponent and two others playing with my other set at the other end of the table, where I'm nearby to answer questions as they come up.

6 players will need 3 Core sets, as it is necessary for the Corp to have a properly constructed deck (with 20-21 points of Agenda) and the right number of cards. With shared 'common' cards, that is possible, but it also means only 2 players can play off each set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you really wanted to do something like this, you could restrict the faction indentity rules and have 2 Corp players with two factions each. That will give a bit more Agenda points to have larger decks, but may still be less than 45. And I think you could have 2 Runner players in the same way.
As has been said, it is important to have the right ratio of Agenda points so the runner has the chance to score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Courtight
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is possible but I do not beleive random deals will do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah D

Arlington
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
With 2 sets you could fairly easily support 6 players. Just divide the neutrals up so that everyone gets a single copy of the 2x cards and two copies of the 3x cards. Then print out 3 priority requisitions and add them to each corp deck to bring them to the proper agenda ratio for a 40-44 card deck.

Obviously, by proxying neutrals, you could play with the full size complete decks if you wanted, or even play 6 out of one box, all depending on how many proxies you're willing to play with. With two boxes though, you'll have plenty of extra cards to put in the sleeves behind your proxy card.

I think though, going with my above suggestion would be by far the easiest though, you'll have decks that are slightly smaller, but pretty reasonably sized and with the correct agenda point ratio while only having to proxy a total of 3 cards. If you don't sleeve your cards, or don't care to print any cards out, you could even do this just by slipping an off-faction card into each corp deck and knowing that that card represents a priority requisition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If there aren't enough Agendas, you might be able to offset it by giving the runners a 2 point head start or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
If there aren't enough Agendas, you might be able to offset it by giving the runners a 2 point head start or something.

That seems patently unfair, since both sides need to score Agenda to win.

-=-=-

I honestly believe that the goal (six people having fun) would not be met with a single core set and it would be more likely to sour them against the game as being unbalanced or unfair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Taylor
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hmmm maybe I'll. Just proxy the neutrals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McLelland
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
Don't touch me!!!
badge
Hi! How are you?!?
mbmbmbmbmb
You would have to proxy all the neutrals. No question about it. Any other option would ruin the flow/balance/purpose of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
RyanMC wrote:
You would have to proxy all the neutrals. No question about it. Any other option would ruin the flow/balance/purpose of the game.

Ooo, proxies.

For non-tournament play, there is absolutely no reason why I shouldn't just proxy the cards I want in multiple decks, right? Or would that be dishonest? I don't want to be immoral over a card game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah D

Arlington
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
RyanMC wrote:

I don't think so, I suggested above using 2 core sets with just 3 total proxies in order to achieve the correct agenda ration, and the game should play very well like that.

Jythier wrote:

Ooo, proxies.

For non-tournament play, there is absolutely no reason why I shouldn't just proxy the cards I want in multiple decks, right? Or would that be dishonest? I don't want to be immoral over a card game.

Why not? You bought the game afterall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
argus88 wrote:
Jythier wrote:

I don't think so, I suggested above using 2 core sets with just 3 total proxies in order to achieve the correct agenda ration, and the game should play very well like that.

RyanMC wrote:

Ooo, proxies.

Why not? You bought the game afterall.

How did you manage to misquote both of us?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah D

Arlington
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Woops! With great skills

Guess I just messed up when I broke the quote blocks appart, fixed above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I play forum games of The Resistance, so I'm trained to notice things like that. You are a spy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.