Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Becker
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday, a collegue showed me FTL: Faster than light.

It looks and plays just like a Battlestations video game! I wonder if there are any connections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Artemis: Spaceship Bridge Simulator is probably closer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cobcroft
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
silk wrote:
Yesterday, a collegue showed me FTL: Faster than light.

It looks and plays just like a Battlestations video game! I wonder if there are any connections.

I bought it and played it - it shares many similar traits and is a good 'cut down' version of Battlestations if you want to get a feel to what an actual game of Battlestations, with multiple players, would be like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cinnibar wrote:
Would have to disagree. This is more like Star Trek: The LAN experience.
FTL with it's different races and different ships feels more like Battlestations. I've yet to get one of my friends to dress up as a Xeloxian or Kerbite when playing Artemis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
FTL is amazing! I've had so much fun. Best $9 I've spent recently.

A bunch of people at work are now addicted thanks to me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Zircher
United States
Midwest City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally digging FTL. The only sad thing is that if someone comes out with a Battlestations video game, the uninformed will think that they're copying FTL. :-)
--
TAZ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Strauss
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FTL is a very nice game. Played a dozen times already. Managed to get to sector 8 last nite. Strongly recommend it.

It would be very fun to play FTL in the Battlestations universe (conversion anyone?). OR FTL multiplayer!

Cheers,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cobcroft
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestations works because it's multiplayer and a boardgame. FTL works because it's single player and a computer game.

I don't think either works if you change those things-
Battlestations doesn't have enough for each player to do if it becomes a realtime game - although it could work if it was an asynchronus game like a Play by Email/Chat/Forum. It could work as an realtime game - if it were more immersive and had various social aspects (such as chat and gestures) put in so the players could have things to do in addition to running the ship.

FTL wouldn't work multiplayer for the same reasons - unless each player controlled a ship rather than just a crew member.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cobcroft
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That being said, I could totally see it as an First Person game, somewhat like Second Life more than a shooter. Each ship module a room on the spaceship vehicle. The battlestation controls include a top-down map when you operate them to give each player an overall feeling of what's going on (but only when they are at their stations, when they wander the ship, they have to look around).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Sofge
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Tegre wrote:
This is more like Star Trek: The LAN experience.

I think what Artemis most resembles is the space combat module from FASA's Star Trek: The Role Playing Game, later spun off into its own boxed product the Star Trek: Starship Tactical Combat Simulator.

That said, the similarity between FTL and Battlestations is striking. I wouldn't immediately jump to the conclusion that one copied the other, as there's often weird synchronicity in the biz. But the long gap between release dates doesn't make the FTL guys look good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cobcroft
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sofge wrote:
But the long gap between release dates doesn't make the FTL guys look good.

I for one would be very happy if they included "inspired by Battlestations" in their credits - it's a bit too close to be that independant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
Curufea wrote:
sofge wrote:

I for one would be very happy if they included "inspired by Battlestations" in their credits - it's a bit too close to be that independant

There are other designs which are eerily similar over the years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Strauss
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Curufea wrote:

It is (sorta):

http://www.ftlgame.com/?page_id=192#gameplay

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franklin Millar
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Curufea wrote:
sofge wrote:

I believe somewhere they quoted Red November and Battlestar Galactica as their board game inspirations, and said they hadn't ever heard of Battlestations. The visual similarity is probably a coincidence borne of utility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cobcroft
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough, I just sort the race names and powers were a bit too deja vu

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexey Aparin
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That is really strange... Why no one did not mentioned such great upcoming game as "STAR COMMAND".
Looks pretty close to "Battlestations" mood.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/starcommand/star-command...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never mentioned it because I did not know about it until just now.

I thank you very much for brining it to my attention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stonebraker

Georgia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI - Star Command is in the works for PC and iOS as well. I'm currently enjoying FTL as I'm waiting for Star Command.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
crnzqpty wrote:
FYI - Star Command is in the works for PC and iOS as well. I'm currently enjoying FTL as I'm waiting for Star Command.

It's almost a year late for android and iOS, and they're adding Mac and PC with KS#2...

but still have not got it into the play store for Android!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed the PC version of Star Command and really looking forward to it. Sounds like they are making significant upgrades for the PC version and were able to add more developers to finish the various versions.

And I'm just loving FTL!

Battlestations is great but would love to see a new edition with all new art and maybe streamlined a bit. The Star Command look would certainly be a neat new graphic design for the game. I heard there was suppose to be a Star Fleet Battles version but I assume its been cancelled since I haven't heard anything more about it for years now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim C.
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any proof Star Command isn't just vaporware? It's Waaaaay late. Like over a year late. They initially believed they would have it done last year. Now it just keeps slipping and slipping. That is some crappy project management there.

If they were working for a studio they would be fired already and the project canceled. I'm guessing they have no previous experience? It will be interesting to see if this actually makes it out the door and can be profitable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.