Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Contest no 3! Guess, where this photo was taken and what it commemorates. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bartosz Trzaskowski

Tucson
Arizona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As in the title: guess, where this photo was taken and what it commemorates. Bonus question: guess when it was built, why it has been recently taken down and why it may never come back to its original place.

Hints.

1. Look at my flag
2. Look at the date (but that's indirectly connected, so may confuse you)
3. This monument has been recently taken down (for non-political/non-historical reasons) ...

4 ... but may never come back due to the political/historical reasons.

Please: no bgg'ers from Poland, that's too easy for you guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Zacharjasz
Poland
Jablonna
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm from Warsaw. Can I answer this question?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Trzaskowski

Tucson
Arizona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
Warsaw Liberation Memorial. Built shortly after the war. Taken down to make room for a new subway station. Given Poland's post-war history, it wouldn't be surprising if it wasn't put back up.

Edit: Pomnik Braterstwa Broni
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Trzaskowski

Tucson
Arizona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it was too easy again.

The answer is almost correct. The proper name for this monument is: Memorial to Polish-Soviet Brotherhood in Arms, but everyone in Warsaw calls it Four Sleepers. It was the first war-commemorating monument built in Warsaw, very shortly after WWII. Quite fittingly, it was placed on the eastern side of Vistula river, where the Soviet forces stopped in the summer of 1944, not helping the polish insurgents in Warsaw uprising and allowing the Germans to almost completely destroy the city. Hence, it's not very loved in Warsaw.

There were some ideas to remove it, starting from 1992, but they never materialized. It has been taken down less than a year ago to make room for a new subway station, so the talks about its removal are back. Right now it's being renovated and most likely will come back to the same place later this (or next) year though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool, thanks for posting this one. I wrote a slim paper on this subject back in college. I was somewhat shocked to learn how the Russians and the Western allies pretty much stood back and allowed the Germans free rein to crush the Polish uprising. It all had to do with which Polish government was to be installed post-war. Little wonder you call them the Four Sleepers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kochamkinie wrote:
Memorial to Polish-Soviet Brotherhood in Arms, but everyone in Warsaw calls it Four Sleepers.

They could put it beside the Katyn Memorial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Bardzo dziękuję!

My wife recognized it and showed me a picture of her right next to it, while on a trip to Poland to visit relatives (the Janik part of my now hyphenated name). She didn't know the name of it though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
kochamkinie wrote:
I guess it was too easy again.

Great contest, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.