Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Need advive for designing map cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Wrocklage
msg tools
Hi there. I'm new to this forum and game design in general, and my friends and I have decided to undertake designed a card style game.

We have run into a problem with designing map cards for our game. A little overview.

The game is for 2-5 players, one taking the role of the king and the others playing as characters opposed to him. We want to use a row of "map cards" for locations, with each card representing a location. At the start of the game each player would receive either a random set of cards or a predetermined set (will decide this later) which they lay down one player at a time in clockwise order to form the map. It will be 1 row, and players characters can move from card to card on their turns depending on where they want to go.

The problem I am having is that I can't seem to think of any strategic advantage to add to the tiles to give incentive to play one over the other in any particular place. Like what advantage would I get for playing the forest next to a town?

At first I thought the king could get income each turn from taxes, with each location representing a tax value. Playing certain cards beside others would increase or decrease this value. We decided the king's income doing this would be exorbitant and decided not to go this route for now.

Any advice or examples of other games that use a mechanic like this would be helpful. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yi Sheng Siow
msg tools
Why not just randomly place the cards?

Is it important to the actual gameplay?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Road types...

You can 1 force constraints (Road art must match) 2. evoke reward types.

palace cobble road, sandy food road red dirt war road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Wrocklage
msg tools
I like the road type idea. But as the other poster said, maybe the actual placement in regards to other locations does not have to make a difference. Each location would have card text detailing what happens while you're there, but the placement would not factor into this. Maybe I'm over thinking
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What does a Map Card look like when it has Action text on it...
Messy? at some point a player would move their pawn over the text.

you might want to convert the actions to Iconography (or a road type)
Or a Book reference. a mark on the card could say (a102) then you look up in a book that tells you what happened in even more storied detail.

+POS: you could control the actual look of the final map

-NEG: you will block players from possible moves.

Keep the type small and within the small have alot of subset things. e.g. type 1 the Castle is complex. type 2 the farms have field/home types. 3. wilderness Desert forest mountain for hunting or adventure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Non Sequitur
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do you want the players to generate the map in the first place? Have a look at your design goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
happysmellyfish wrote:
Why do you want the players to generate the map in the first place? Have a look at your design goals.

It could be adventure based, I heard that DnD has this as the primary movement mechanic.. they build maps up and only reveal as you go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herc du Preez
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep it simple. If it doesn't make sense, drop it. After you have played a while you will see if that idea would have worked or not and then decide to add it back in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loose Cannon
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have map/location cards that can be placed over existing location.
Example;
Forest next to city:
King can use forest to generate (Something)
Each time a token could be placed on/under Forest card. When Forest has 3-4 tokens, place a cut down type (map/location) card overtop of the forest.

Same as city/village/town.

the locations could be built up, or built/destroyed down.

So what ever players play, other cards of world effects could change that spot.

Personally,
I'd use Tokens also to add specific Location to the Map/cards.

such as a Goblin lair/ or Castle Ruin Token on/in the Forest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i honestly don't have enough info about what you are trying to do with the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.