Subject: 3-4 player games... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
How do you guys find it plays with 3 to 4 players?

So when 1 player has 0 morale, the game ends, and the player with the highest morale wins... Does this make 3 player games balanced? As opposed to the dreaded 2vs1 issues that usually arise in similar type games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Heitz
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played two 4 player games, both of which were team games (2v2). I think the morale system works well for team games. When one player reaches 0 morale, you total up team morale to determine the winner.

Our first game, we used the suggested dungeon layout from the rule book. This uses eight large tiles and eight small tiles. After the game, everyone agreed that the board was way too large. The game basically digressed into two separate 1v1 matches, because teammates were so far away from one another. For the second game, we put together a smaller dungeon using only four large tiles and four small starting tiles. Teammates started opposite on another. This played much better. I think we'll use this layout for our future games as well.

I haven't had a chance to try a free-for-all game with 3 or 4 players. My concern with the existing multiplayer rules is that they might encourage players to sit back while the other players battle and lose morale. I've been thinking about some variant rules that would have players start at 0 morale and count up whenever they destroy an opposing model. If I ever have and opportunity to test these rules, I'll post something in the variant section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Scheidler
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Gigamic
mbmbmbmbmb
I played 3 player. The "highest morale wins" makes the end scoring pretty close. Usually one player gets a sound beating, but then it quickly turns to 2v1 with the 2nd and 3rd place tearing into the winner. There's definitely space for a good comeback if all players are comparably skilled and attentive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Kiger
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
The board is pretty big for 2v2 games, but it really brings the secret passage card and burrowing into play in a big way. It also really adds value to effects that let you summon up your reinforcements farther up which is neat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
a 4 player game on a 1vs1 board size sounds like fun... so each player would use the starting tyle and 1 big tyle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
V Dickson
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rahlan wrote:
I've played two 4 player games, both of which were team games (2v2). I think the morale system works well for team games. When one player reaches 0 morale, you total up team morale to determine the winner.

Our first game, we used the suggested dungeon layout from the rule book. This uses eight large tiles and eight small tiles. After the game, everyone agreed that the board was way too large. The game basically digressed into two separate 1v1 matches, because teammates were so far away from one another. For the second game, we put together a smaller dungeon using only four large tiles and four small starting tiles. Teammates started opposite on another. This played much better. I think we'll use this layout for our future games as well.

I haven't had a chance to try a free-for-all game with 3 or 4 players. My concern with the existing multiplayer rules is that they might encourage players to sit back while the other players battle and lose morale. I've been thinking about some variant rules that would have players start at 0 morale and count up whenever they destroy an opposing model. If I ever have and opportunity to test these rules, I'll post something in the variant section.

Did you use all the treasure chests each game? Did they help bring people out? I wonder if a few extra chests (I still have some Mage Knight ones) could be included to help pull people out of their start zones...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bond
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Going to be playing some 4 player (with 2 newbies) on Friday, and also wondering about map size and whether we should play free-for-all, or teams. Any more feedback from people would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Raolin wrote:
Going to be playing some 4 player (with 2 newbies)

Mark, I had exactly that situation and did this. If you try the same, I would be interested to know if it worked as well for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bond
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this! The diagonally adjacent starting positions makes good sense, and I agree that the number of tiles should be kept small. Thanks again - I'll let you know how it goes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
950Rav wrote:
I played 3 player. The "highest morale wins" makes the end scoring pretty close. Usually one player gets a sound beating, but then it quickly turns to 2v1 with the 2nd and 3rd place tearing into the winner. There's definitely space for a good comeback if all players are comparably skilled and attentive.
You could say that!
The only 3-player game I've played was as close as it can get with the winner having 1 morale remaining!

What happened was that initially two players jointly attacked the third until he was almost beaten, then one player withdrew and turned against the second. The second player then also tried to disengage but only managed to delay his inevitable demise before being crushed by the first player. In the meantime the all but forgotten third player had time to recover and finally managed to win the game.

I was really quite impressed by how balanced the factions apparently were in this game.

The only thing I disliked was that the game took significantly longer than a 2-player game. If I were to try it again, I think, I'd suggest to use fewer tiles and/or creatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:
The only thing I disliked was that the game took significantly longer than a 2-player game. If I were to try it again, I think, I'd suggest to use fewer tiles and/or creatures.

In my 2vs2 session report, I suggested using the half-factions provided for shorter but still interesting sessions. This is something I wished Summoner Wars had as well, 4 player SW is crazy long!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen G Roy
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We often play 3-player, and it can indeed take hours. I suggested Gold/Silver for tomorrow night just minutes ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chromaticdragon wrote:
In my 2vs2 session report, I suggested using the half-factions provided for shorter but still interesting sessions.
Yes, thanks, I'd seen that, and I think it will work better for three player games, as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.