Subject: Re-arrange programs with Djinn? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy York
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Let's say I haven't planned well as a Runner, and have installed a Datasucker, a Medium, and a Crypsis. Now I install Djinn, hoping it will help me make room for Mimic and Corroder. Can I re-arrange my programs so that Datasucker and Medium are hosted on Djinn, to make room for more Icebreakers?

As far as I can tell, the answer is "no," which will go against some people's intuition, and so seems like a likely mistake for people to make.

Djinn :
Quote:
Djinn can host up to 3 [Memory Units] of non-icebreaker programs.
The memory costs of hosted programs do not count against your memory limit.

Rulebook on hosting, p. 22; note that hosting is always mentioned in conjunction with installing...
Quote:
Some cards can only be installed on other cards; others allow
cards to be installed on them. A card that has other cards
installed on it is called the “host card,” while the card installed
on it is called the “hosted card.” Hosted cards can leave play
without affecting their host.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no mechanism to 'reinstall' an installed card. The Runner may TRASH an existing program in order to free up MU for another program, but may not pick up a card installed in a 'physical' MU and move it to the Djinn's 'virtual' MU.

It is one of the reasons I personally use tokens to represent the MU available to the Runner, and place the tokens on the cards using them (usually upper left corner, covering the cost which is no longer valuable information).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No you cannot rearrange your programs once they are installed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be a really neat Event card though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jefF, There are some who call me... DuneKitteh
United States
Wood Dale
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dune Kitty really does love you, despite any asshattery.
badge
Useless rollover, booya! Dune Kitty says, "deal with it."
mbmbmbmbmb
Azeltir wrote:
That would be a really neat Event card though.

For sure. I found out that you couldn't do this during the Icebreaker tournament when I tried it. To me, it significantly lowers the value of Djinn, since you would have to play it first/with available memory to keep from trashing things (or hold off installing programs until then), and if you don't have/get it in hand early enough, it kinda sucks. In a way it kinds makes sense, but in a way it doesn't. An "re-install" event card (move any installed programs to memory expansions (assuming that eventually there'll be more than Djinn) to do it would be nice though, even if it's something that has to be done immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy York
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
The rules are clear on this one, that you don't get to re-arrange things.

However, I think this doesn't fit very well with the flavor of the game. The Runners are computer experts, but they're not capable of reconfiguring how they've got their software installed on their console?

I feel like Djinn could have had more card text, something that would allow you to spend an action to re-install an existing non-icebreaker program into Djinn.

But then again, I think Noise is already pretty good, I don't know that he needs more help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
auction_prune wrote:
The rules are clear on this one, that you don't get to re-arrange things.

However, I think this doesn't fit very well with the flavor of the game. The Runners are computer experts, but they're not capable of reconfiguring how they've got their software installed on their console?

I feel like Djinn could have had more card text, something that would allow you to spend an action to re-install an existing non-icebreaker program into Djinn.

But then again, I think Noise is already pretty good, I don't know that he needs more help

If the Runner gets to defrag their rigs, the Corp should get to reorder their installed ICE.

Neither is permitted (until we get card effects that allow it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.